Awkward Switch Location - Thoughts?

Old 02-19-14, 04:04 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Awkward Switch Location - Thoughts?

I have a backdoor in the kitchen, and after switching to a large side by side 36" fridge the edge of the fridge is now flushed with the edge of the door.

A side effect of this is the light switches are now BEHIND the fridge.

Now these are not switches for anything inside the kitchen, but two switches to fixtures on the other side of that back door. One switch is to the overhead light inside the car port, the other is a switch to the outside flood lights mounted under the eave.

Any suggestions to make the switches more accessible?

There is a two gang metal box behind that plate. Is there any sort of magic box extension ring that I can mount to the existing box, that will also make a 45 or 90 degree "turn" so I can put in a double switch that would face the open space?

Old 02-19-14, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Look into "Lutron Maestro" wireless switching. They have a master switch you can install behind the fridge, then program wireless switches to stick wherever you want.

Or you're likely looking at building out the wall, or attempting to fish in a new cable to a box on the other side of the door.

Old 02-19-14, 04:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Turn the box around so it is in the out side wall. Use weather proof switches if not a fully protected area.

Old 02-19-14, 04:27 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thanks I'll look into the Lutron Maestro.

To mount it on the outside is a possibility. I will have to chip through an 8" concrete block though. Lots of work!

Old 02-19-14, 05:50 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I will have to chip through an 8" concrete block though. Lots of work!
Would a surface mounted box be acceptable aesthetics wise? Then you only need to drill for the cables or conduit.

Old 02-19-14, 11:01 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Imho..

IMHO; keep it on the inside, use Wiremold to re-route the present location to the other side of the door. Since the door swings out, it should not be a hindrance. Raceway is paint-able and strong. I've used it many times and if I were to do it for you, would recommend doing it this way.

(Lowes Link for reference: Shop wiremold at Lowes.com: Search Results )

Manufacturers website; Metal Raceway | by Legrand

somewhat confusing, but that's why I sent Lowe's website.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: