Where to connect red wire?

Old 02-19-14, 09:43 PM
Where to connect red wire?

I'm trying to replace a regular light switch with a light switch with a timer I got from Home Depot. The installation instructions looked simple enough. The "timer switch" had a wire that had to be connected to the line wire, another to the load wire, and one to the ground wire.

Once I took out the original switch, to my surprise, there was an extra red "line" wire that I had no clear place to connect it to. My only guess is that it must have something to do with the fact that the light that I'm trying to control is operated by two switches: one in the garage, and another one inside (which I was trying to replace).

What's the proper way to wire this? I ended up tying the black and red live wires together with the timer's live wire. It worked (although the second switch in the garage now has no control over the light), but I want to make sure I didn't do anything stupid.

Since I wasn't sure the connection was proper, I also tried leaving each one of the live wires by itself, while only connecting one of them to the timer switch. This resulted in the new timer switch only working whenever the garage switch was on (which is not my intention).

Not sure if it's relevant, but the switch controls a couple of outside light fixtures, and my house was built in 2012.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-14, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
the light that I'm trying to control is operated by two switches
That is a 3-way switch. You need a timer intended for use with a 3way switch.