Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can a circuit breaker sub panel be run from a 'fused' service panel?

Old 02-21-14, 01:08 PM

Currently I have a 100a (120-240v) fuse box.
Main (60a) runs house & garage (12 circuits)
Range (40a) runs the A/C (220v)

I would like to install a sub-panel to support the A/C and 220v to the detached garage via the existing buried conduit.

...*imgur: the simple image sharer
...*imgur: the simple image sharer

My fuse diagram from when the AC was added, shows this 25A circuit for A/C and Furnace. The 'Range' used to be a 2-wire electric*dryer, before it was used for the A/C compressor.

Note: I belive there are 'continuous metallic paths' bonded to the grounding system in my home (bonded to the water & the gas piping in the same room as the service panel) --- Does this matter since a new ground will be sunk for the sub panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-14, 02:27 PM
You need a new service with a modern circuit breaker panel.

Old 02-21-14, 10:57 PM
You need to take those 25's and 30's out and replace them with 20's or 15's depending on the wire size.

Old 02-22-14, 08:52 AM
You should be able to run a panel from the range fuse disconnect. Check the panel label to see what maximum fuse size/wire size can be used.

That "30A" white wire to garage looks like it reads 14 AWG. Fuse needs changed to 15 amp along with the rest.

Old 02-22-14, 09:22 AM
You should be able to run a panel from the range fuse disconnect. Check the panel label to see what maximum fuse size/wire size can be used.
That would be a possibilty if the range pullout was not already being used for the dryer circuit. Everything is being used, panel is full, you need a new modern circuit breaker panel.

Old 02-22-14, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
And the inappropriate dangerous use of over fused circuits indicates the panel may already have loads exceeding its limits. Circuits that need to be split into multiple circuits. More power requirements then the range circuit could provide when already supplying the dryer circuit which would have to be moved to the new subpanel.

Old 02-22-14, 06:55 PM

That would be a possibilty if the range pullout was not already being used for the dryer circuit. Everything is being used, panel is full, you need a new modern circuit breaker panel.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz2u6d1vK5e
Thank you to everyone for the replies.

Astuff and CasualJoe, the 'dryer' label on the range is from the previous dryer.
That dryer is no longer used. The range is solely for the A/C compressor now.
Note: I have swapped those fuses. Many thanks.

This panel is untouched since the day I moved in.
I just wanted to use an arc welder in the garage without having to pay $1500-2000 to get a new service panel.
The meter is already single pole 240v, so I was hoping a sub panel would suffice.