Male inlet to female outlet


Old 02-21-14, 07:55 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Male inlet to female outlet

Good evening,

I have a small solar shed setup with battery storage and a modest 1100W 12VDC to 120VAC inverter. What I would like to do is be able to run an extension cord to a male inlet on an exterior wall which would feed into a single female outlet on the interior wall. This would be completely separate from my house's electrical panel and provide power to run a few necessities in the event of a power outage without having to have an open window or door during the chilly Oregon winter months.

My biggest concern is, obviously, is this safe? The inverter is fused, but would I want another fuse/breaker closer to the inlet-to-outlet setup? What about an earth ground?

Pointing out anything I may have missed or overlooked would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-14, 09:39 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So long as it is a totally separately derived system it should be okay. I'd suggest a blue or red colored receptacle and a label just so others will know what the receptacle is.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: