Grounding and bonding home electrical system

Old 02-22-14, 02:52 PM
Grounding and bonding home electrical system

I would like some advice on grounding and bonding my home electrical system.

Currently my electrical box is grounded to both my cold water pipe where it enters the home and also to a grounding rod. So there are two #4 bare copper wires connect to the grounding bar in my electrical box. My gas pipes are bonded to the #4 wire going from the electrical box to the grounding rod. The bonding is shown in this photo.

Name:  P1030648 - Copy.jpg
Views: 3423
Size:  25.4 KB

Question: Is my gas pipe properly bonded. Or must I bond it directly to the electrical box? If I must bond directly to my electrical box, I donít think it can accommodate a third #4 wire going to the grounding bar. A photo of the current grounding bar connections is here.

Name:  P1030649 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  47.2 KB

Thanks in advance for your help.
Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-14, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Normally a gas pipe is not bonded.

This is in a state of flux especially in NJ as the inspectors are requiring the gas lines to be bonded if CSST flex gas piping is in use like for a generator.

The gas line bond must be within a foot or two of the gas meter and can be bugged into the line going to the ground rod. It doesn't have to go into the panel.

Now...a question for you.... why are you bonding the gas line ?

Old 02-22-14, 05:51 PM
So there are two #4 bare copper wires connect to the grounding bar in my electrical box.
That's the neutral bar or sometimes called the neutral bus. The ground wire to the ground rod doesn't have to be any bigger than #6, but #4 is bigger and still acceptable.

Old 02-22-14, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The gas line is considered bonded by the EGC run in the circuit that feeds the furnace.

The 2 wires in the one lug is incorrect. That lug is for one conductor.

Old 02-23-14, 05:56 AM
Either the fat bare wire from the gas pipe to the panel (or to a similar fat bare wire from the panel to the water pipe or ground rod), or the up to date grounded power feed to a gas appliance that uses electricity, will suffice in bonding the gas piping system to ground.

A gas pipe does not count as a grounding electrode. The fat bare wire connected to it, even though installed in the same manner as a grounding electrode conductor, is called a bonding jumper. You must still bond one metal water pipe (if any) exiting the house underground and provide ground rods according to the rules for those items.

Old 02-23-14, 11:27 AM
Thanks for being patient with my ignorance. I do not understand the circumstance under which my electrical service would benefit from a connection to a grounding rod. Lightning? Other circumstances?

On bonding metal pipes, I gather the reason is the prevent shock or electrocution if a circuit somehow short circuits to the pipes. Is that right?

I am bonding my gas pipe because this reference said I should:

Grounding
Bonding

Also, today I found this reference:

http://phcc.files.cms-plus.com/PDFs/...CSSTUpdate.pdf

The first bonding reference above says I should bond the gas pipe and any other metal pipe in my house directly to the electrical panel, but I suspect it would be ok to bond to any #4 wire going either to the grounding rod or to the cold water pipe where it enters at the house

The last reference above suggests it would be wise to bond the gas pipe despite the ordinary ground in the circuit feeding the furnace.

I would appreciate feedback on my current plan, which is this:
  1. PCBOSS says the connection of the two #4 bare wires to the neutral bar in my service panel is wrong as the lug is designed for only one connection. I will buy another lug. (One of these wires goes to the grounding rod, and the other goes to the water pipe where it enters the house.)
  2. I will bond the gas pipe to the #4 wire that goes to the grounding rod using the connection type shown in my first photo. I will clamp the wire to the gas pipe close to the meter, on the customer side.
  3. I will bond my metal hot-water heating pipes to my cold water pipes at a convenient location.
  4. I will bond my telephone/internet to my cold water pipes at a convenient location.

Thanks,
Randy

Old 02-23-14, 04:25 PM
You have two #4 bare wires (as grounding electrode conductors) coming into the panel, one from the ground rod and the other from the water pipe.

You may connect one to the lug and clamp the second to the first just shy of the lug.

To be exact, one GEC must run unspliced from either the water pipe or the ground rod(s) to the panel neutral bus. Any additional GEC the same size or smaller, if it first reaches an already installed GEC outside the panel, may be clamped on there instead of continuing all the way to the panel.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-23-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 05:39 PM
I will bond my telephone/internet to my cold water pipes at a convenient location.
Telephone, internet cable, cable TV, satellite dishes ect get connected at the intersystem bonding terminal outside.

Arlington GB5 White Intersystem Zinc Grounding Bridge with Plastic Cover; 4 1/2 In - Crescent Electric Supply Company