Installed new wall outlets..Strange happenings.

Old 02-22-14, 03:50 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installed new wall outlets..Strange happenings.

Last week I replaced two older wall outlets that were kind of beat up with new ones. I also replaced a light switch and a ceiling light bulb socket.

One more thing, I had Ohio Edison come by to look at my electric since we had flickering lights going on. They told us we needed new entrance wires.

Anyways this week I notice some strange things happening. My laptop's battery is kind of fried. It's showing as replacement needed when last week it was just fine. Also when I use it for a little while my hands feel tingly. It's an aluminum laptop (macbook pro).

Also, flickering has stopped in my house but I'll notice that my TV in the basement will just turn itself on after I have turned it off. Once I turn it off again it will usually remain off.

Can a new wall outlet installation have something to do with this? I checked the wall outlet with a tester and it shows as correctly wired.

Old 02-22-14, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I doubt changing the devices had anything to do with the problem.
It sounds like you may have an overvoltage or fluctuating voltage problem.
You would need an actual voltmeter to test at your receptacles to see what the voltage is.

Old 02-22-14, 05:44 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I'll notice that my TV in the basement will just turn itself on after I have turned it off.
I used to have an Emerson TV with remote that would automatically turn itself on when the power was interrupted and then restored. I found it handy to tell if utility power had been off during the day when I got home. I suspect you still have a utility connection problem giving you small interruptions in power.

Old 02-22-14, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Upvotes on 176 Posts
If the neutral on the service is bad you may be frying the electronics from over voltage. You need to have this checked ASAP.

Old 02-22-14, 08:44 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just checked and they're all 118-122 V consistently. Could the ground possibly be bad?

How much am I looking at to have new entrance wires installed?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 02-23-14, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Upvotes on 176 Posts
The ground plays no part in the normal operation of your system. The voltage needs to be checked under load.

Costs vary too much based on labor rates and site conditions.

Old 02-23-14, 06:12 AM
A
Received 286 Upvotes on 261 Posts
You can do a meaningful load versus voltage test using a hair dryer. Also try it in a few rooms away from the receptacle where you are testing with your multimeter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: