Connecting Vaccum Low Voltage Wires

Old 02-22-14, 06:45 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Connecting Vaccum Low Voltage Wires

I am installing a central vac system in a new home that has been roughed in for central vac by the builder.

Some of the outlets have 1 wire in them while others the wire looped in the outlet. I had assumed each outlet would have the loop and I would cut this loop to have two wires and connect these onto the poles of the plate.

Is my assumption correct and with the loop wire outlets, and for the single wire outlets, I connect the single wire to a pole?

Thanks

Old 02-22-14, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring used needs to be at least two conductors. If you find a loop at a connection point..... cut it, strip it and rejoin them while adding in the two wires from the connection point.

Old 02-22-14, 08:40 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't think I can add wires. Actually I know I can't.

The outlets with 1 wire are on the upper floor. The are 3 outlets with the wire loop, these are on the main floor.

Old 02-22-14, 08:57 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I don't think I can add wires. Actually I know I can't.
Why not?

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  14.9 KB

Old 02-23-14, 12:23 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You have cable with two wires under the outer jacket. You can carefully remove a few inches of the outer jacket without harming the internal wires and then carefully remove an inch or so of the insulation on each wire. Loop this bare portion of the wire over the screw terminal, one wire for each screw, of the vacuum inlet.

Or, you can cut the cable in the middle of the loop, remove a couple of inches of the outer jacket, remove the insulation from each of the wires, tightly twist the wires of the same color and bend this combination around the screw terminal of the vacuum inlet, repeat with the other wires and screw terminal.

I assume the upstairs inlets are fairly close to being directly above the inlets on the lower floor and the wiring runs from the central unit to a lower inlet where it is looped and thence to the upper inlet.

At the central unit connect all like colors together and then one color to a terminal on the central unit and the other color to the other terminal. It makes no difference which color goes to which terminal at either an inlet or at the central unit. You DO need to be careful in removing the jacket and inner insulation as this is small wire and easily damaged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: