Eliminating swtich/plug combo to just plug

Old 02-23-14, 08:30 AM
Eliminating swtich/plug combo to just plug

I honestly searched for the info, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Please bear with me.
I have a switch/plug combo. The switch is for the patio light. I attempted to move the switch to the outside wall ( it was in a crappy place). I have run new wire (same gauge as existing) thru the wall to the interior gang box. Installed weatherproof gang box outside for new switch. Tossed the old combo and installed new plug only on the inside. Wired it (thought I did it right) but I cannot even flip the breaker on, it trips immediately. There are two sets of wires in the wall that went to the old combo.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-14, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
If the whites were not tied together in the switch box you had a switch loop and a power in cable. Using a multimeter, not a non contact tester, determine which cable is hot. That cable goes to the receptacle. The cable that is not hot goes to the switch.

If you don't have a multimeter connect one cable to the receptacle, plug in a lamp with an incandescent bulb, if it lights full brightness that is the hot. Doesn't light or not full brightness that is the switch loop. You can verify the switch loop bu removing the bulb from the patio light. If the bulb in the lamp doesn't light that is definitely the switch loop.

Old 02-23-14, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

There are two cables originally in the box connecting to the combo switch. One cable is the feed in and the other cable goes to the light. Now you have a third cable in that box since you are relocating the switch outside.

Name:  as.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  20.1 KB

Old 02-25-14, 01:31 AM
I haven't had the chance to wire it yet. PJ, I appreciate the help, but that diagram makes no sense to me.

Old 02-25-14, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
Were all the whites connected to each other and pigtailed to the silver screw of receptacle? If so that is what PJ has diagrammed.One cable will be always hot one cable carries switched power to the light. Using a multimeter not a non contact tester disconnect the cables and determine which is hot. At the receptacle you will have three cables, new (to the switch), hot, and switched which goes to the light. At the new switch only the new cable.
At the receptacle connect as follows:
  • White of switched cable to the light and white of hot cable pigtailed to receptacle (silver side).
  • Black of switched cable to black of new cable.
  • White of new cable to switch (recolored red or black) and black of hot cable pigtailed to the receptacle (brass side).
At the switch:
  • Black of new cable and white of new cable to switch.

Name:  Extension_FROM_SwLp_zpsdd1e0b18.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  17.8 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 02-25-14 at 07:18 AM.