Electric Dryer wiring

Old 02-23-14, 11:27 AM
Electric Dryer wiring

My house was built in 1976, and the line that supplies power to my dryer has a red, white and black (3 wire) and no ground. The dryer that was here when I bought the house in 2001 was wired with this, directly wired to the machine, with no outlet. I'm getting a new dryer in a few days and keep reading about 4 wire dryer lines. I have wanted to put that 3 wire line into a receptacle so I could just plug and unplug the previous dryer. I have been looking for a 30 amp receptacle at places like Home Depot and Lowes, and it seems that they have them for only 4 wire supplied dryers. Is there a way that I can add a receptacle for the existing 3 wire line I have so I can plug and unplug the new dryer....will the new dryer have to be hard wired like before or do I need a new 4 wire line run?

Thanks, Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-14, 11:35 AM
It will look like this, either flush or surface mount.

Buy Online: 38B-Box - Cooper Wiring - Receptacle Single Flush 30A 125/250V 3P3W Straight Brown | Visit Westway Electric Supply

All big box stores should have them.

Old 02-23-14, 05:02 PM
Ok, I'll look for it... Thanks so much!!

Old 02-23-14, 06:01 PM
If you can't find it, ask someone. Tell them you are looking for a 3-wire dryer receptacle.