Bad Outlet?

Old 02-23-14, 01:32 PM
Bad Outlet?

I have an outdoor outlet that we use for our outdoor TV and Cable box. It has suddenly stopped working. The breaker was not tripped so we replaced the outlet but still nothing. Help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-14, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Recptacles rarely go bad unless they are GFCI so usually there is nothing gained replacing them. Best procedure is to first test the wires for power using a multimeter, preferably analog, or a test light or a solenoid tester. No power then it is unlikely it is the receptacle. Outside receptacles should be GFCI protected. Often by a GFCI receptacle located elsewhere. Inside, outside, garage, basement, sometimes hidden behind something that hasn't been moved in years. You need to look for that GFCI first. I've seen outside, backyard receptacle power by a GFCI receptacle in a second floor bathroom at the front of the house.

Have you read: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html

Old 02-23-14, 02:02 PM
what am i looking for when looking for GFCI. When I googled it I saw the outlets that I have in restrooms, however this was a regular outlet with so trip switch built in.

Old 02-23-14, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
this was a regular outlet with so trip switch built in
Yes, but I meant that it was ultimately connected to the load side of a GFCI receptacle that could be almost anywhere.Are any other receptacles dead. There could be several non-GFCI receptacles fed by a single GFCI receptacle. Do you have a seldom used guest bathroom?

Old 02-23-14, 04:52 PM
A GFCI receptacle protecting your outside receptacle could be in a basement, a garage, a crawl space, could even be another outside receptacle or like Ray said, almost anywhere. You could even have a GFCI circuit breaker.