new sub panel or move junction box

Old 02-25-14, 01:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new sub panel or move junction box

Sorry for the length but didnt want to leave anything out. I am about to remodel my kitchen and update all the wiring in my duplex all one building each unit on its own 100 amp service. All the circuits from the main panel except for two bedrooms are in 3/4 inch conduit coming from the 100 amp main panel that is located on the outside of the house. The conduit runs through block into the house to a large junction box located inside a kitchen cabinet. I can't install new cabinets due to junction box location and size.

Since the conduit is already run and closer to wall I want to use.... I was thinking it would be best to use 4/3 copper in the exsisting conduit into the new sub panel(shorter run) and then install the new wiring to the sub panel from the rest of the house. The location of the new sub panel would be to code. I will need 10 circuits at least so prefer sub panel with room for 12 circuits. The circuits to the sub panel would be:
dishwasher 20 amp
disposal 15 amp
frig 20 amp
Stove 50 amp
Kitchen 20 amp GFCI
Bedroom 15 Amp w Arc fault
TV room 20 amp
living room 15 amp
Bathroom 20 amp GFCI
dryer 30 amp

The only circuits that would be left in the main will be 2 15 amp arc fault for other two bedrooms. Building are attached so no additional ground rods and remove bonding in sub panel

Here are my questions :

What size main breaker for sub panel ?

Was planning to use Square D panel (same as other panel) any other recommendations for panel?

Based on over plan do you see any problems before I submit for approval ?

I also thought about moving the whole panel and upgrade to 200 but not needed have no A/C, gas furnace and gas water heater.

Again sorry for the lengt and thanks for input!!

Old 02-25-14, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Two things to start; in order to use the #4 the feeder needs to be for the full load of the house. You said you were going to leave some circuits out in the other panel.

Also you need two 20 amp small appliance circuits for the kitchen/dining receptacles. You show only one.

Depending on the adopted code cycle you may need more AFCI protection.

Old 02-25-14, 04:15 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I don't have a code book but I don't believe that 3/4"pipe would be large enough for the #4's

Old 02-25-14, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 3/4 is not large enough for 3 #4s.

Old 02-25-14, 07:16 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't reinvent the wheel and just move the junction box like it was done on the other unit add a 6 gauge ground wire and a grounding bar inside the junction box. The kitchen GFCI will have 4 outlets on the GFCI circuit for appliances and I will have one more circuit for second bathroom plus

dishwasher 20 amp
disposal 15 amp
frig 20 amp
Stove 50 amp
Kitchen 20 amp GFCI
Bedroom 15 Amp w Arc fault
TV room 20 amp
living room 15 amp
Bathroom 20 amp GFCI
dryer 30 amp

So will this work without any conduit fill issues with 3/4 inch conduit ?the run is about 15 feet. I will have to verify its 3/4 might be one inch.

Thanks for your input

Old 02-25-14, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Trying to run that many conductors in one conduit will bring up the need to derate the ampacities of the conductors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: