Multiple lights on separate switches using one circuit

Old 02-25-14, 09:42 PM
Multiple lights on separate switches using one circuit

Hello,

Hopefully I can explain this correctly, but I have a room that has multiple can lights currently wired up. These lights are controlled by two three way switches. One at the top of the stairs and at the entry door.

I've taken the room and split it in half, keeping one half the entry and the other half an office.

I'd like to control the lights separately using different switches. So I can turn the entry light on without turning the office lights on, and turn the office lights on without turning the entry light on.

I'd like to do this on the current circuit the lights are hooked to, since there's no more room in my breaker panel to run a separate wire for a few lights.

Is there a diagram of how to do this or step by step directions so I can better understand? Seems like I'd need 14-2 and 14-3 wire?

Here is a rough diagram of what I'm looking at.

Switch 1 (s1) and Switch 2 (s2) control all the lights currently.

Switch 3 (s3) is being added and I'd like that switch to control the 4 can lights only, and S1 and S2 to control only the entry light.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-14, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
It's a do-able job but not a walk in the park.

You'll need to check at both switches to see where the hot feed enters the circuit.
You have five cans wired together.
You'll need to find the wire between the one and the four so that you can break them apart. The red line is one possible way and the blue is another way.

Name:  lights.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  16.2 KB

Old 02-25-14, 10:09 PM
The hot feed enters at S2 as the breaker box is on the other side of the wall...which is the garage.

What type of wire to use, and what gets connected to the new third switch?

Old 02-25-14, 10:22 PM
Multi Lights

Here is another diagram:

Assuming this is a 15amp circuit: (1) Separate wire from entry can to the group of four cans. (2) Install 14/2NMB Romex from the three-way with the feed from the panel, to the new office switch. (3) Install 14/2 NMB Romex from the new office switch to any one of the four office can lights.

Dashed line is to be removed and Red lines are new 14/2. If circuit is 20amps than Romex needs to be 12/2 NMB.

Attachment 27405

Old 02-25-14, 10:26 PM
Bahtah,

It is a 15 amp circuit.

Also, I can't seem to access the attachment. Says "Invalid attachmenet specified". Could you reattach? thank you!

Old 02-25-14, 10:28 PM
Multi lights

Here is Attachment:

Name:  Rewire1.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  9.0 KB

Old 02-25-14, 10:36 PM
Thank you again.

So if I understand correctly..

1. Wiring between the two 3-way switches and entry can stays the same.
2. Add 14-2 run from the 3-way switch receiving the power to the new switch in the office.
3. Run 14-2 wire from the switch in the office to the new office cans.
4. Sever any connection of the office cans connecting to the entry can.

Old 02-25-14, 11:35 PM
Can Lights

That is correct for the lighting. Don't know how long your new wall is but you will need to have a receptacle within 6ft of the new door and then every 12ft. You may also need a receptacle facing the entry on the new wall. You could add a couple receptacles taking power from the new office switch box unless you already have that covered. Good Luck.

Old 02-26-14, 07:12 AM
Awesome, thank you.

The new wall is about 8ft in length. There are four receptacles in the office now, but one does probably need to be added on the new wall facing the entry. I just run 12/2 from the switch to the receptacle correct or just piggyback off the receptacle right inside the office to the entry receptacle using 12/2?

Old 02-26-14, 10:44 AM
Multi Lights

You mention 12/2. If you have access to the existing receptacles and they are wired with 12/2 then I would add one receptacle within 6ft of the new door and within 12ft of the next receptacle along the floor-line in the office. Then come off that new receptacle and add one facing the entry. If you cannot get to the existing receptacles then add a 14/2 from the new office switch box to the new receptacles.