Electrical Estimate too high?

Old 02-26-14, 10:17 AM
Electrical Estimate too high?

I know labor is a regional thing but does this seem like a high estimate?

2500 bucks to
to install 20A bathroom circuit with gfci outlet.
install 2 - 20A kitchen circuit and gfci protect.
install 1- 20A laundry circuit
Install 1 outdoor gfci no box present
install 4 hardwired smoke detectors not interconnected

--- I got a bid once for the laundry circuit from another guy. It runs 25' to the panel would be in emt and run across exposed ceiling joists of basement. It was 300 bucks.

So since then I have been assuming 1 new circuit costs 300 bucks in my area.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-14, 10:30 AM
That may or may not be a high quote. Get another estimate and you'll find out.

Old 02-26-14, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Best bet is to get multiple local estimates so you can compare.

Old 02-26-14, 10:40 AM
I think you should learn to Do-It-Yourself! Lots of people right here to help you learn the proper methods. Start by going to the public library and checking out several handyman-type books on electricity. Also, BUY the book Wiring Simplified and read it cover-to-cover. Wiring Simplified has been in continuous print for more than sixty years and it is updated every three years to coincide with the updating of the National Electrical Code. It is written for the lay person and not only tells you the HOW but the WHY behind the methods used in electrical construction. Wiring Simplified is available for ten dollars (or less) from on-line booksellers, many big box mega-mart homecenters and well stocked corner hardware stores. In the homecenter it is usually found in the electrical aisle and not in the books and magazine section.

It isn't rocket science and most anyone can learn BUT there are certain precautions that must be observed.

Old 02-26-14, 11:02 AM
yes I understand about getting multiple bids and diy. Theres some specifics beyond my control here.

I just need a general ballpark idea if this specific bid seems high.... I understand the variable... if anything, use your local as a reference.

Old 02-26-14, 04:37 PM
Estimate Too High

2500 bucks to
to install 20A bathroom circuit with gfci outlet.
install 2 - 20A kitchen circuit and gfci protect.
install 1- 20A laundry circuit
Install 1 outdoor gfci no box present
install 4 hardwired smoke detectors not interconnected
I came up with around $1,953.00 for new construction with easy access, not including any permits, travel or cleanup. As you say the area of the country and labor and insurance rates can make a big difference.If it's a remodel than it would require more labor. Not knowing your construction or conditions makes it hard to know what was actually bid. I would get three bids and ask for references, check to see they are licensed, have workman's comp and have no pending actions with the contractors board. That way you will get an honest estimate for your area.

Old 02-26-14, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
It does seem a bit high to me too, although I have not looked at the job.

It sounds like things are a bit tough for access and quite a bit of fishing. If you figure about $90/hr plus material, Bahtah's number is pretty close.