Power to shed from house

Old 02-26-14, 08:18 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: usa
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Power to shed from house

Want to run power to shed.
240v for welder & 120v outlets for 2 lights inside and 1 outdoor, drill press and fan.
Want to come out of house with 240v off a 60 amp breaker using 10/4 wire, going to shed connecting to subpanel in shed with 40 amp disconnect.
Putting in 30amp breaker for welder & 2 15amp breakers for the lights etc. Also do i need a ground rod/s to ground panel.

Thanks, any and all advice would be appreciated
Old 02-26-14, 10:23 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 16,321
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
A 60 ampere circuit breaker will require no less than #6 copper conductors. You will need at least one grounding electrode (ground rod) connected to the equipment grounding bus in the panel with #6 copper conductor. Lots more requirements as well.
Old 02-26-14, 10:46 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 29,711
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
And it will be 6-3 not 6-4 if cable (ground isn't counted). If cable it needs to be UF-b not NM-b (AKA Romex) buried a minimum of 24 inches. If you use conduit best practice is four #6 THWN not cable. Burial depth minimum 18". You will need one or two ground rods. If the subpanel has room for more then six circuits it will need a disconnect. Simplest and sometimes cheapest is a main breaker panel kit. A 100 amp panel is often used to provide adequate spaces for breakers. The supplied 100 amp main breaker is okay because it is only used as a switch. You will also almost always need to buy and add a ground bar. Ground bar is bonded to the case. The neutral bar is isolated.

All wire sizes based on 100 feet or less.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: