Light Switch Installation

Old 03-04-01, 12:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Changed a wallmount light switch and the old switch had three wire connections and the new switch only has two wire connections. When I changed the switch I left the ground wire unattached. The switch is correctly controlling the intended light in the room; however, the remaining lights on the circut are not operating. Is their any way of using the new switch (which is designed to operate the light)?

thks for the help!

Old 03-04-01, 06:18 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You said
Changed a wallmount light switch and the old switch had three wire connections and the new switch only has two wire connections.

A switch that has three screws on it usually depicts that you have a second switch controlling that set of lights. Check you box to see if you have a red wire in that box. If you do then you will need to replace that switch with a switch that also has three screws.

You said
When I changed the switch I left the ground wire unattached.

The 99 NEC requires that you install the bare or green wire in the box to the green screw of the switch.

You said
The switch is correctly controlling the intended light in the room; however, the remaining lights on the circut are not operating.

You are confusing on this statement. Are these lights also being controlled by that same switch. IF so then you most likely have a second wire that went to the switched side of your switch.

If these lights are not controlled by the same switch then you most likely have a power out in that box that is not connected to a constant power source.

You said
Is their any way of using the new switch (which is designed to operate the light)?

All of the above should answer this last question.

Come back in with more info and we will try to get a little bit on the mark with our help to you.

Hope this helps

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: