Solar Powered Brewery Question

Old 02-27-14, 12:14 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solar Powered Brewery Question

Hi Folks

I have a small HERMS brewery which currently runs off mains power.

I'm just doing some initial investigations into being able to run the system from solar (or wind or waterwheel for that matter).

Heres some details.......

I live in New Zealand which is on 240v power.

There are two heating elements heating seperate water tanks. One is 2kw and the other is 2.5kw. There is also a small pump that is around 20w.

The whole brew takes about 5 hours however the biggest draw is heating the whole system up with both elements running which takes about an hour. From then on two PID's control the temperature and the elements switch on and off as needed.

The pump runs the whole time.

So......

What sort of storage capacity battery wise would be required to do the whole brew without any outside energy input.

And what sort of Solar system would be required to charge the batteries for one brew.

Sorry if the question is a bit noobish and feel free to ask me for more details if needed, at this stage I just want to see if my dream of a post apocalyptic beer bunker is even possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-14, 05:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
Why are you wanting to brew with solar? Is this for a TV show (Brew Dogs has already done a solar brewery) where budget is not much concern? What is your budget? Since you also mention wind and hydro I assume this is just a fishing expedition.

If you are trying to brew off grid I would convert to gas for the heating then use solar to power the controls and pumps if you've just "gotta" have a HERMS setup. Otherwise there are other methods like three tier that don't require any electricity if burning dinosaurs for heating.

Old 02-27-14, 08:33 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks for your reply.

Well it definitely is not for a tv show, at this stage I was just hoping someone would be able to help with some numbers so I can at least get an idea. There is no budget in mind at the moment.

I've had three tier systems in the past and they are great but just wanted to run the system I'm using now.