Unable to locate continuity problem!!

Old 03-04-01, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hi all...I had an overload occur on a standard household circuit (15A) when I foolishly plugged in a 12A vacuum cleaner into an extension cord (yeah, I know....dumb). This circuit is carrying 2 light fixtures and 4 outlets. The fuses were fine at the main board (I checked with a continuity tester), continuity is fine at all but one outlet. There is no power at all to either the lights or outlets, and since this is part of a reno for a nursery, I have some urgency to get this fixed. I am stumped as to where I can start to look for the break in the continuity of the wires leading to the suspect outlet. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

[Edited by IanS on 03-04-01 at 05:48]

Old 03-04-01, 03:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replace the fuse (yea, I know it tested fine). You can experiment for free by merely swapping the fuse with another one of the same size.

If this experiment fails, replace the outlet (after removing the fuse).

Post back with the results.

Old 03-04-01, 04:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi John..thanks for the reply. I replaced the fuse, no luck. Replaced the outlet, no luck. However, when I tested the continuity, I had the main power off. My understanding of this type of circuit test is that no power can be going to the outlet or wall switch. Is that correct?

Old 03-04-01, 06:20 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I would use a voltage tester instead of a continuity tester. Unless you are a skilled electrician you will get many false readings due to continuity through light bulbs etc. causing a back feed completing that circuit.

Take the panel cover off with the fuses screwed in take a voltage tester and test between the screw of each fuse to the neutral bar. If you find a dead screw, then suspect a fustat installed that is not compatable to the threads of the fustat holder causing that fustat to screw in but not make contact. Look inside each fuse holder. You should find a colored piece of paper inside that fuse holder if it is a fustat style fuse. Each size fustat has different type threads preventing you from puttin in the wrong size fustat. Match the color of paper inside the fuse holder to the same color fustat.

Let us know if this helped

Wg

Old 03-05-01, 04:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi All....Wg's suggestion didn't uncover the problem (thx for the advice though!). I am still at square 1. No lights or power to the 2 fixtures and 4 outlets....depression is setting in at the thought of having an electrician in to look at this.....HELP!!!

Old 03-05-01, 07:34 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you have power on the screw of hte fuse to the neutral bar. Then you need to trace the circuit one receptacle and one light switch at a time and look for any heating of the insulation of wires or wires not connected tightly. Just start at the first receptacle from the panel and test with a voltage tester and look for damaged or loose wires. Then go to the next one on the circuit. Process of elimination.

Let us know what you find

Good Luck

Wg

Old 03-07-01, 11:46 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
continuity

Hello folks,
Just thought that I would throw a idea in here.
At one time I had a house that utilized fuses and had a problem where my wife blew the power to a section of the house. The fuses were still good but no power. It was then that I located another panel box that had cartridge fuses in it. This was located before the fuse panel and after the main power entered the building. This evidently divided the power in the house into sections. In this box, I found four cartridge type fuses with one of the cartridges soaked in a oily type substance. I replaced that cartridge fuse and, viola, power. Is it a possibility that a simiular panel exists here? Could there be a subpanel located somewhere on the circuit. Some older houses do have them in the most unlikely places.
Soon after I had the house rewired to circuit breakers!

[Edited by Bob M on 03-08-01 at 10:19]

Old 03-10-01, 04:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi all,

Been busy as heck this week so I am just getting back to this. The biggest hassle right now is that I cannot confirm what circuit at the main the light fixtures and outlets are on. The Main board is a mess. Improperly marked, and it looks like I have at least 1 or 2 circuits carrying more load than necessary....thanks for the responses so far. I'll keep you posted...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: