Central Vac will not shut off

Old 03-01-14, 11:23 AM
Central Vac will not shut off

Hi...

The central vacuum in my home will not shut off. It is a Beam vacuum system if that matters. This was working but one odd point to note is this happened in the middle of the night after power came back on after a power failure.

I have tried switching the unit to Manual instead of Auto and when I plug it in, the vacuum kicks on.

any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-14, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Those units use a contactor inside to switch the high voltage to the motor from the low voltage at the hose "plug in" locations.

They contactor may have become stuck. With a model number we could give you more information.

Old 03-01-14, 12:06 PM
Does Model 199F make sense?

Old 03-01-14, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Sure..... popular model. Left a link to the part below.

Beam Central Vacuum Control Module

I would disconnect the two low voltage wires going to the plug in ports to make sure there isn't a bad switch at one of those locations. The two connections use slide on terminals that stick thru the side of the vacuum.

Old 03-02-14, 09:17 AM
Thanks PJ Max....

I ohmed out one of the ports between the two contacts and get a short, 0 ohms. Are these ports and the controller wired in parallel? If so I would assume I can disconnect the controller and it should open up if its controller?

Old 03-02-14, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
All the ports are in parallel so that if any one is shorted the vacuum will remain running.

Remove the two wires that come from the ports and connects to the vacuum... if the vac stops you have a short in one of the port plates or wiring.