Help with Building a Very Small DC Wind Generator

Old 03-02-14, 01:42 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Building a Very Small DC Wind Generator

For a class project, I have to make a small electrical generator of some kind. My choice was a wind generator. I picked up a tiny DC motor from Radioshack, and I know that I can somehow use it to generate power. I have built everything up onto the motor itself, but I don't know what to do after that. The motor is Radioshack part "2730256". How do I harness the energy, or even check it on a multimeter? In other words, how do I actually collect power from the motor. Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by Aarongon; 03-02-14 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-14, 03:04 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
After checking the specs on your 2730256 motor, I would suggest using a different motor. Yours is rated at 18,000 RPM and I don't think a fan will get it anywhere near that speed.
It will still generate some electrical output at lesser speed. To connect, use the two solder lugs on back of motor and carefully solder your wires to them and then connect wires to some load, eg. a LED bulb. Connect your multimeter across the two wires using the DC voltage selection. Spin your fan and see if it will indicate voltage. If it doesn't, disconnect the load and measure open circuit. Probably will do enough to convince your science teacher it is working.
Have FUN!
RR

Old 03-02-14, 04:27 PM
A
Thanks a lot man. Your engine advice was helpful, and very understandable for someone with no experience like me.

Old 03-03-14, 11:00 PM
B
Generator Project

Here is a link to building a small generator that may be helpful: You could modify the materials so it could be supported to hold the weight of a fan blade. Armature needs to turn as freely as possible, windings can be increased to get a bit more voltage, enough to light a small LED: Science fair project: Ultra-simple Electric Generator, spinning magnets