Ground Wire Question?

Old 03-02-14, 03:56 PM
Ground Wire Question?

Hi - I've run a new circuit using 12/2 for a few 20amp receptacles. I'm using metal boxes and have a bunch 14AWG grounding wires ... My question is should I purchase 12AWG grounding wires since I'm using 12/2? Or does that not matter since it's a ground? Thank you

One more thing, does anyone have a link to the electrical code for NY?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-14, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not quite following you. You ran 12/2 w/ground for new 20A receptacles. Where does the #14 grounding wires come in ? Are you talking about a tail from the ground screw on the box to the receptacle ? The tails also need to be #12 gauge.

You can bring your 12/2 w/g cable right into the box. Wrap the ground around a green ground screw, connect your outgoing ground wire and add a short tail of ground wire or use a green wire nut with hole in it to allow the ground wire to stick thru.

Name:  green wire nut.JPG
Views: 1486
Size:  3.8 KB

Code link for the state or the city(5 boros) ?

Old 03-02-14, 05:38 PM
Yes. Sorry for the confusion. The tail from the ground screw on the box to the receptacle. I had a feeling and am going to get some in 12AWG. I've been using these pre-made grounding wires and I kind of like them, they help me keep things neat.

I'm looking for Long Island, Suffolk County code. Thank you for the response. Appreciate it.

Old 03-02-14, 05:49 PM
does anyone have a link to the electrical code for NY?
How does the NY code apply if you're in Colorado? Just curious.

Old 03-02-14, 06:42 PM
It wouldn't ... My profile requires an update. Nice catch.

Old 03-02-14, 08:39 PM
I'm looking for Long Island, Suffolk County code.
That's outside the boroughs. Probably straight NEC or straight NY state, but you never know. If your local library doesn't have it you can stop by the permit office.

But why are you asking? Is there a particular question you need answered?

Old 03-02-14, 09:21 PM
I have an electrician coming in about a month or so to upgrade my service and replace my main panel. In the interim, I'm running some branch circuits and a 4/3 cable to where I'm putting a sub panel. I constantly have questions about how to properly run and secure wire, when conduit is required, just a lot of stuff like that. Right now I don't have anything in particular. I often post to these forums when I do have questions. I really appreciate you taking time to respond.