New Square D main breaker stuck in trip position

Old 03-02-14, 06:46 PM
New Square D main breaker stuck in trip position

I have a new QDL32200. It's the first time I've dealt with a new main breaker. The breaker arrived in the trip position, as it appears in the all the product shots. I can't get it out of that position -- it's possible but very hard to move the switch to either extreme, but it snaps back. It has the same behavior with and without incoming current (verified with proximity tester) and with and without downstream load. The trip button also doesn't do anything. Is it defective, or am I missing something obvious?

Name:  IMG_20140302_171102.jpg
Views: 2889
Size:  32.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-14, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Most new breakers arrive tripped. It's the way they wound up when tested and it's arguably the safest state for them to be in during the install. Also, most breakers need to have the handle moved to the fully OFF position to reengage the handle before they can be closed. If your breaker won't let you move the handle to the fully OFF position, and hold there, it's defective.

Unless the deadfront is interfering with the handle. Are you trying it with the panel uncovered or covered?

Old 03-02-14, 07:27 PM
Most new breakers arrive tripped.
It's a Square D breaker, they ALL come in the tripped position. It's also a 3 pole breaker, what is the application for this breaker, is this a commercial installation?

Old 03-02-14, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It will be easier to reset once mounted in the panel. You will have more leverage.

Old 03-02-14, 08:01 PM
It's out of the panel in the picture, but I've tried it in the panel as well. Leverage isn't the issue; I can push the switch down to the the fully off position, but it doesn't click or stay there. All attempts so far have been with the panel cover off, so that's not in the way.

Last edited by igulliver; 03-02-14 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-02-14, 09:26 PM
It sounds like it's defective. I'd swap it for a new one.

I'm curious though. Why are you installing a 3-pole breaker?

Old 03-02-14, 09:34 PM
This is the main breaker in a 3-phase subpanel in a space where I'd like to have a master disconnect. I know the breaker is overkill for a subpanel, but it also didn't seem hazardous?

Old 03-02-14, 09:59 PM
I know the breaker is overkill for a subpanel,
How so?

but it also didn't seem hazardous?
Huh?

What is the space the 3-phase power is feeding?

Old 03-02-14, 10:04 PM
The subpanel (actually, subpanels; 3 in a chain) that is is replacing was just a main lug. The breaker clearly isn't required by code, so it seemed gratuitous, but useful. The space is a commercial video studio, with neighbors like machine and printing shops.

Old 03-02-14, 10:51 PM
The subpanel (actually, subpanels; 3 in a chain) that is is replacing was just a main lug. The breaker clearly isn't required by code...
Is that what your inspector said?

Old 03-03-14, 09:41 AM
It's out of the panel in the picture,
I must be missing something, I see a picture of a 3 pole breaker, but no pictures of a panel.

It sounds like it's defective
Square D isn't the same quality as it once was pre-Schneider Electric. It could easily be defective.