Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What is the reason for an outside of house main breaker when there is a main ins

What is the reason for an outside of house main breaker when there is a main ins

Old 03-03-14, 05:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a 200 amp main breaker box on the outside of the house, which has only the double pole 200 amp breaker in it. The inside service panel is about 20 ft. from that outside breaker. Why 2 main breakers , 200 amp each ?.
if this is code, please note your state and if your state requires an outside breaker if the inside panel is (how many?) feet away.

THank you, Steve

Old 03-03-14, 05:22 PM
A
The purpose of the main breaker is safety. You wouldn't want an unfused power line running into your house. It would be very hard to work on the sub panel. That's the barrier between you and the grid.

Old 03-03-14, 06:01 PM
A
Received 272 Upvotes on 248 Posts
In most states it is customary to have the first main disconnect (main breaker) in the panel inside the house. Because the service conductors are "unfused" (protected only by the fuse on the pole transformer primary and the transformer has the amperes to serve several homes) there are limitations on the distance between where the service cable or conductors enters the house and the location of the main panel.

Old 03-03-14, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
In our area, there must be a disconnect as part of the meter base on the outside, if the breaker panel is not installed back to back to the meter base. This allows emergency services to turn off all power to the house without having to locate the main.

Old 03-04-14, 06:50 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
The inside service panel is about 20 ft. from that outside breaker. Why 2 main breakers , 200 amp each ?.
The NEC does not have an actual maximum length of the service conductors, but states it must be as short as possible. Most AHJs use a length of 5 to 7 feet for the maximum length of the unfused conductors inside the envelope of the house to reach the service panel with the main overcurrent protection device (aka main breaker). The NEC does not require two 200 amp breakers. When there is a 200 amp breaker disconnect outside at the meter, you only need a main lug panel as the service panel inside the house.

Old 03-04-14, 06:57 AM
B
In my area only mobile homes or modulars require the outside breaker. I am in Va

Old 03-04-14, 07:19 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
In my area only mobile homes or modulars require the outside breaker. I am in Va
Does your area follow the NEC?

Old 03-04-14, 11:13 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Does your area follow the NEC?
Bracey may be too small to have its own permitting and inspection process. Mecklenburg County has a building permit system but doesn't directly adress electrical.

Best guess is 2008 cycle, adopted statewide:
Virginia Housing Board adopted the 2009 Uniform Statewide Building Code, which references the 2009 I-codes and 2008 NEC effective 3-1-2012
Source: NECŪ Adoption List

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: