dead outlets

Old 03-04-14, 01:33 PM
dead outlets

I had 5 outlets stop working. Nothing in the wiring was changed. inspected the backs of all outlets involved and they "look" ok but are all backstab. The plug in tester shows hot/ground reversed. I tested with a multi-meter. Neutral-hot=0v neutral-ground=120v hot-ground=120v. 2 of the outlets are gfci. Where do I look now?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-14, 01:57 PM
Re-do all the connections from the back stabs to the screws. It appears that you have lost the neutral somewhere.

Old 03-04-14, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I tested with a multi-meter. Neutral-hot=0v neutral-ground=120v hot-ground=120v.
These readings indicate that the neutral is open somewhere and that power is being transferred to it through a load. The problem will be at the first non-working receptacle or the last working one.

inspected the backs of all outlets involved and they "look" ok but are all backstab. 2 of the outlets are gfci.
The GFCI receptacles should have back-clamp terminals and should be connected with a straight piece of conductor. Unless your standard receptacles also have back-stab terminals, they should be connected with a looped piece of connector crimped around a terminal screw.

At all outlets where there are two or more wires of the same color, except for the outlets where the GFCIs are mounted, splice those wires together with a pigtail of the same color and gauge and terminate the pigtail to the device.