2 Motion Sensors for Lighting

Old 03-05-14, 03:03 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Motion Sensors for Lighting

Good Day,

I did a search, read a few of the threads, but still not entirely sure how to push forward.

The scenario I have - 1 hallway (3 lights down it), and 1 switch and either end. It's a 3-way setup.

Here are pictures of each switch.

One end of the hallway... (two pictures for clarity)

Other end...

What I'd like to do is replace each of these with a motion sensor, so that I can walk down the hallway hands-full and not worry about needing to flick a switch.

The unit I purchased is the Leviton Single Pole / 3-Way Wife View Motion Activated Light Control which came in a two pack, so heck, I grabbed it. It looks like this, and came with a small wire as a jumper for 3-way installation (with a toggle switch).

So, while the product instructions aren't the most clear they certainly aren't covering motion detectors at each end of the hall. Anyone care to walk me through this?

PS. Don't freak about the bio **** on that piece of paper, doing a project in a Chem course on BW agents.

Old 03-05-14, 03:52 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You need to buy a pair of switches that can work together. A second one like the one you have may do it. Read the specs.

Old 03-07-14, 09:46 AM
H
I have two of the motion switches. They came in a pack together; however, the instructions are entirely for single pole or a 3-way switch (1 motion, 1 3-way) so I'm not entirely sure how to set it up. Any thoughts? Otherwise, I'm going to just start guessing

Old 03-07-14, 11:03 AM
H
I can sort of got it going. Swapping both 3-ways with motion sensors... well, it works on the "on" position, but flickers in auto.

Turns out I've just learned some occupancy motion switches do not work well with fluorescent lights. After searching the Leviton website, I see I need a "magnetic rapid start ballast" - need to figure out if that means I need to buy new lights or if it can be added on. This is something I've not played with before.

Last edited by Heist11Foxtrot; 03-07-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 11:57 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Are these screw in CFLs or an actual fluorescent light fixture? New fixtures you buy will probably not have magnetic ballasts.

If CFLs simplest is to use at least one incandescent bulb. Best is to use motion sensors with a neutral then the type of bulb (or fixture) doesn't matter but that will require new cables with neutrals to your switches .

If you have fluorescent fixtures you may be able to swap out the ballast. Plan B to try would be to put a magnetic relay with a 120 volt coil in the fixture with the coil parallel to the ballast leads. The relay itself would not be used, only the coil to provide the necessary low impedance for the trickle current for the sensors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: