What do I do with the fixture's red wire?

Old 03-05-14, 04:31 PM
What do I do with the fixture's red wire?

I bought four T5 fluorescent light fixtures to replace the T8 fixtures I have in my garage. The new fixtures are "industrial" 120-277volt Lithonia (IBZT5 4 WD).

The fixtures I am removing have the typical black and wire and green wires. These new ones have an extra red wire that I am not sure what to do with.

I have not investigated what the ceiling box has but it is a new house built 2 years ago.

Any help appreciated as to what to do with the red wire on the new fixtures.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-14, 04:41 PM
Cap it off. That's the wire that's used instead of the black when the power is 277V.

It should have had a tag on it. Yours didn't come with that?

Old 03-05-14, 05:01 PM
Thanks much!

Appreciate the info. There was no tag on the wires and the instructions were woefully inadequate. The Luminaire connector has numbers that are not even referenced anywhere.

The fixture is made overseas and looks like a challenge to even secure it to the ceiling as there are no designated holes or instructions on how to mount it. The Zorro tools site said the fixture could be ceiling mounted or suspended. However, the holes/slots beneath the bulbs in the deflector go all the way through the fixture. They would open to the ceiling. There is no back plate behind the deflectors. I guess that is ok since the bulbs don't get that hot.

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-14, 05:58 PM
What brand ballast does the fixture have? Is there a label on the ballast with a wiring diagram showing the red wire?

Old 03-05-14, 10:01 PM
Is this your fixture (the one on the left)?

Fixtures that can use either 120V hot-to-neutral or 277V hot-to-neutral power have three input leads, One is a white neutral. One is a black wire to be connected to a 120V feed. One is a red or orange wire to be connected to a 277V feed.

You have 120V power in your home. Cap the red wire. Connect the black and white wires.

Old 03-11-14, 01:22 PM
Yes. The one on the left is the one.

So as it turns out, the red wire is for optional accessories. I needed to wire the black and red wires of the fixture to the black wire from the electrical box to get all 4 tubes to light. Apparently, these industrial fixtures have optional accessories like a motion sensor that trips just two of the lamps at a time. None of this was found in the Lithonia instructions. I had to go to the website and waste a lot of time trying to figure it out and still there was no wiring instructions.

For those that are considering these Lithonia IBZ I-BEAM Energy-Saving Fluorescent High Bay fixtures for residential use, I needed to wire the red wire and black wire of the fixture together to get all 4 lamps to light. Otherwise, only two lamps lit with just the black wire of the fixture to the black wire of the electrical box.

If you want to flush mount them, it is a major PITA because the metal is not all flat on the back of the fixture..but can be done as Lithonia states. The T5s do give off a ton of light for the wattage. It turned my workshop into an operating room and I still don't have all the bulbs lit. The T5 HO 54 watt bulbs can be found for less than $3 on online bulb sites. I used the Halco 35084 tubes that I had for the garage but need to order more bulbs. You can see in the image that only 1 fixture has all 4 bulbs (top left).

Also, the lamps only work in pairs when present in the fixture. If one on the left is removed, the corresponding lamp on the right will go out. I'm not sure if the right would stay lit when the left burns out and remains in the fixture.

IBZ - I-BEAM® Energy-Saving Fluorescent High Bay

Attached Images  

Last edited by diyar; 03-11-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-11-14, 06:04 PM
If you want to flush mount them, it is a major PITA because the metal is not all flat on the back of the fixture
Fluorescent highbay lights are not typically installed flush, but usually installed as chain/cable hung or surface mounted on bar joists, but can be surface mounted on a drywall ceiling. If you wanted a flush installation, I think there are other fixtures better suited for that application. I don't think this fixture is even recommended to be flush mounted. Surface mounting requires an optional bracket.

INSTALLATION — Suitable for suspension by chain, cable, surface-mounting bracket, hook monopoint or
single (pendant) monopoint. Surface mounting not recommended without optional surface mounting bracket.
http://www.acuitybrandslighting.com/...ts/ibz_x54.pdf

Old 03-11-14, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
The "extra" wire could also be for inboard/outboard switching. Quite common in offices as it is expensive to dim florescent lighting.

Old 03-12-14, 10:20 AM
The optional IBZSMB bracket mounts the fixture flush. Therefore, I would say that flush mounting without the optional bracket (which by the way is ~$30 a fixture shipped) is more difficult but there is no reason I can see it cannot be done. The mid-line holes are already there on the top and bottom of the I beam. The holes are close to where the wires travel to the tombstones from the ballast.

On the back of the fixture, the middle is not flush with the sides. There is about a 1.5" step down that I am guessing is for heat dissipation as the area directly behind the lamps does not contact the ceiling. Also, the thicker gauge sheet metal is only on top and bottom of the I beam.

For my application, the wires come through the knock out plug on the side and not the back so it was a little more tricky to move the all the wires out of the way on that side of the I beam to tighten the hardware to the ceiling. Can be done. No different outcome than their optional bracket. The whole fixture was less than $100 shipped so I thought ~$30 per fixture for an angled piece of sheet metal seemed a bit excessive.

Also there are not many options for a 4 lamp T5 fixture that is white that has access to the ballast from the lamp side of the fixture.

Last edited by diyar; 03-12-14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-13-14, 11:03 AM
On the back of the fixture, the middle is not flush with the sides. There is about a 1.5" step down that I am guessing is for heat dissipation as the area directly behind the lamps does not contact the ceiling.

There wouldn't be any ceiling above the fixture in a flush installation. I see some surface mounted fixtures in post #6, do you have a picture of the flush mounted fixtures?

The optional IBZSMB bracket mounts the fixture flush.
According to the Lithonia specs, the IBZSMB is the Surface Mounting Bracket. I just don't see how this would mount the fixture flush with the ceiling.