Can I run Romex through conduit?

Old 03-05-14, 09:14 PM
Can I run Romex through conduit?

I have some wiring running to a switch and lights that supposed to be run through conduit but currently has Romex running to it. My question is can I just pull that existing Romex through the conduit when I put the conduit in place (assuming I disconnect the Romex on one end and pull it through), or do I need to replace the Romex with two or three wire wiring?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-14, 09:17 PM
Will the conduit be closed (run from one box to another) or will it be a sleeve (open on one end)?

Old 03-05-14, 09:22 PM
It would be closed, one box to another, e.g., from a porcelain light circuit box to a switch box. What's the difference between that versus being open on one end? Thanks.

Old 03-05-14, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
Best practice is to use individual conductors (THHN/THWN)in a closed system. Are you in Chicago? If so the inspector may not want to see cable.

Old 03-06-14, 06:01 PM
The NEC does not prohibit running NM cable (aka romex) in conduit, but like Ray said, best practice is to use individual conductors. Some AHJs, however, will not allow a cable assembly to be installed in conduit except for a short sleeve to protect the cable from damage.

Old 03-06-14, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The conduit would need to be larger for the cable than for individual conductors.

Old 03-06-14, 07:27 PM
What's the difference between that versus being open on one end?
Heat. Type NM is designed to be installed in an environment where the heat can get away from it.