Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Convert switch controlled outlet to switch controlled fan / always hot outlet

Old 03-05-14, 10:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a 3 bedroom project I want to start soon for switching them from switch controlled outlets to switch controlled fan and always hot outlet. I did search the forums and read other posts, but I couldn't find my particular situations matching mine and also following a bunch of text was hard for me (I do better with pictures). I'm looking for advice on what I should do for these 3 rooms on how they should be wired to NEC and NJ code for the change I want.

I've created this image to illustrate what my current wiring looks like:

Room 3 - This switch is connected to a double switch (on opposite side of wall) that controls 2 hallway lights and a foyer chandelier. This room also contains my sub-panel for the up stairs. I want to retain the current switch for this room because the fan I'm hanging here is remote controlled and I don't need a 3 wire.

For room 1 and 2, I want to switch the switch out for a single switch that has both light and fan control on it (see "new switch" image on the right).

All 3 current switches are single gang boxes (but they look oversized than a normal 24 cu in / whatever the normal 1 gang box size is)

All wiring pictured above is 14 gauge (and you can tell which is 2 and which is 3 by the coloring)

I know how to wire at the fan connection/install it; What I don't know is how to rewire the outlets/switches.

My questions are:

1) How to rewire these 3 switches/outlets? do I need to run a complete new wire to my sub-panel for any of these? (trying to avoid this one)
2) Do I need to get 2 gang boxes for any of these to meet space requirements for NEC? I only want my rooms to actually have a single switch here, but I could put a double switch if I had to.
3) Do I need to staple the new wires running from the switch to the fan? All rooms have attic access so I have no problems stapling up there (and plan to). I'm wondering about the wall part for this question. According to NEC/NJ again.
4) Lastly, I bought 12/3 wiring to run from my switches to the fan. Can I still use this since all the other wiring is 14/2 and 14/3? I thought I read somewhere that NEC was updated to say that 12/2 and 12/3 should be used now-a-days, but I could be wrong.

I really appreciate the help. Thank you!

Old 03-05-14, 11:26 PM
B
Fan Switches

Here are the steps for each location. I think box fill is ok at 1 & 2, not sure about 3. You need to check CU-IN on number 3 switch to determine the fill.

Recept-1: Disconnect red switch leg. Pigtail black and connect to receptacle. Receptacle will then be energized continuously.
Switch-1: Disconnect red switch leg. Pig tail blk and white to feed new fan switch. Connect fan/sw to new NMB going to fan/lt.
Recept-2: Remove whites from recept and white from black. Splice all whites and add pig tail to recept. Remove black from recept and splice to other blacks and add pig tail to recept. Recept will be energized continuously and NMB going to Switch-2 will then become 120V feed for fan/sw.
Switch-2 Remove old switch and wire new fan/sw and connect to new cable to fan/lt
Recept-3: Remove red switch leg. Add pig tail from Blacks to recept. Remove whites and splice with single pig tail to recept. Recept will be energized continuously.
Switch-3: Remove red switch leg. Use black as feed to new fan/sw along with pigtail from whites. connect fan/sw to new cable going to fan/lt

Old 03-06-14, 11:24 PM
R
New Wiring Diagram

Thank you! for your reply. I just wanted to double check if you have time. Here is the updated diagram with what the new wiring would look like according to your comments.

One small note is the type of switch I wanted for room 2 and 3 should of been reversed. The below diagram reflects this.

Also just as fyi, the new switch, the red is the light wire, the yellow is the fan wire.

Thank you again for your help!

Old 03-06-14, 11:39 PM
B
Fan/lt switch

All the wiring changes are to just remove the switch leg to the receptacles and make sure there is 120V at the switch location for your new fan/lt switches. does not really matter what switch goes where as long as you have the proper cable to the fan/lt for the switch you are using. Looks good.

Old 03-07-14, 01:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Will all the rooms still have the required switch controlled lighting outlet? If not the switched receptacle needs to stay.

Old 03-07-14, 09:46 AM
B
fan/lt

I think all the fans are combination fan and light. Switch at door should control the light and meet the requirement.

Old 03-07-14, 11:52 PM
R
Thanks for the replies. Room 2 (the one retaining the current switch) will have a remote controlled fan; It only requires a black and white (and ground) connection. Room 1 and 3 are not remote controlled fans. All fans are Fan/Light fans. The outlets should be always hot after the changes as bahtah answered how to make them always hot.

I found out how to calculate the box space requirements and the only one I need to do that on is room 3 (it has a lot of wires) which I will do before I start this project sometime today. These rooms are on 15 amp breakers and as I mentioned all my existing wiring is 14 gauge (all of which will be kept). I guess the last outstanding question is the 12/3 NM I bought to run from the switch to the fan/lt is ok to use? or should I really switch it over to 14/3 instead? it would seem to me the 12/3 is safer to use

Thanks!

Old 03-08-14, 10:19 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Using #12AWG conductors in a 15A circuit is fine. It's just more expensive and something that's not needed.

Using #14AWG conductors in a 20A circuit would not be fine. That would create a hazard and be non-compliant with code requirements.

Old 03-13-14, 09:59 PM
R
thanks for the help, I got 2 of the rooms wired and doing the last one this weekend. Everything works good.

Old 03-14-14, 03:16 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Thanks for letting us know, good work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: