Running SER cable as feeder

Old 03-05-14, 05:06 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running SER cable as feeder

Hi,

I am wondering the rules on running a feeder SER cable from my main panel to a subpanel. I have a 2-gauge Al feeder from an attic subpanel that is now poking down through a hole into my basement and I need to now run it across my basement to my main panel. Can I run the SER along the center beam in my basement (using straps every 4.5') over to the wall and then across the sill plate to the main panel and down along the side of my main panel to a convenient knockout, or should i just try to go into the top of the subpanel to keep the SER from being exposed on the side of the panel? my basement is unfinished, but i thought running the SER by the side of the panel might be forbidden. my main panel is on a piece of plywood that is screwed into the "wall" of my basement.

Old 03-05-14, 08:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It will be easier to come into I the top of the panels as the bend radius is easier to make.

Old 03-05-14, 08:31 PM
B
SER Feeder

SER can be used as a feeder if all the circuit conductors are insulated and the uninsulated conductor is used as the equipment ground. As far as running the cable, it must meet the same requirements as type NM cable in article 334.

Old 03-06-14, 01:03 PM
A
OK, I'll try to come in through the top of the box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: