Electrician education/ licensing

Old 03-06-14, 11:05 AM
Electrician education/ licensing

If this is the wrong place to post, please remove or delete. I was hoping some experienced poster/ electrician might offer some advice:

I have a full time office IT job; family, kids, etc. I hold a bachelor's and a master's degree. I'm not actively looking for a career change, however I wouldn't mind diversifying myself by becoming educated and possibly certified as an electrician on a part-time basis. I have an interest in the space and someday would like to own rental property. I also would like to have a "fall-back" plan should I tire of the IT gig or lose employment...maybe make a little money on nights and weekends.

Is it possible to become licensed as an electrician without being employed as one?
Is it possible to self-educate and pass an exam? Or attend an electrical school part-time and pass an exam (there is actually a Lincoln Technical Institute minutes from my house)
Does this sound unattainable or a crazy pipe dream?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-14, 11:13 AM
Electrician

Check the licensing requirements for the sate of New York. I doubt if an apprenticeship is required. The state licensing authority should be able to provide reliable training sites. The one you mentioned would be the one to investigate first.

Old 03-06-14, 11:22 AM
I can't quote NY requirements, But in Maine and NJ it requires (or did) 5 years of apprenticeship. I instructed a relative through his first two years of school requirements so he could jump to his 3rd and 4th year of classes, commercial rating. He already had many years as a residential electrician and still had to jump through many hoops.

As Wirepuller said, see if you can find NY requirements. Or maybe someone here will jump in.

Bud

Old 03-06-14, 11:46 AM
Actually, we will be moving to CT soon, so that would probably be my residence.

DCP: Electrical License Types and Scope of Work

A lot of "X years of equivalent experience and training", "in the employ of", etc.

Old 03-06-14, 01:05 PM
With that much education I would be staying in the IT profession. I have friends and relatives in the $80,000 to $300,000 per year in that field. Although I have others who are retired as electricians and quite comfortably, but none from part time work.

I have also hired a lot of electricians and even though I know ohms law far better than most I could never keep pace with their experience.

There are lots of avenues for IT to specialize. The high paid friend I listed above is in communications security and he could go anywhere he wants. Others are Cisco certified and in high demand. It is competitive keeping pace, but 6 figures is common. Can't say that for the licensed electricians I know.

Best of luck
Bud

Old 03-06-14, 01:26 PM
Is it possible to become licensed as an electrician without being employed as one?
There's nothing like supervised and mentored hands-on experience for learning a hands-on craft. IOW, an apprenticeship. In most states, however, there are alternatives.
Is it possible to self-educate and pass an exam? Or attend an electrical school part-time and pass an exam (there is actually a Lincoln Technical Institute minutes from my house)
Often there is. Many states recognize distance learning such as that offered by Mike Holt Enterprises. Many also offer Journeyman and Master exam prep classes in their community education programs.
Does this sound unattainable or a crazy pipe dream?
No. It sounds like a challenging but achievable goal.

maybe make a little money on nights and weekends.
Once you're licensed, or have advanced far enough to work as an employee of a licensed Master, sure.

Actually, we will be moving to CT soon, so that would probably be my residence... A lot of "X years of equivalent experience and training", "in the employ of", etc.
The entry-level qualification in CT appears to be "C-6 LIMITED ELECTRICAL JOURNEYPERSON." That's your first target. And right in the paragraph about qualifying, there's a sentence that points to alternative paths: "The requirements to qualify for this license exam shall be the completion of a registered apprenticeship program or at least four (4) years of equivalent experience and training."

As you get started you'll learn more about alternative paths available.

Just as a thought, many states recognize experience as an employee of a temporary labor company such as Tradesmen International as qualifying, so long as you get the necessary paperwork signed off by a qualified person at the firms you're hired out to.