sorting out shared neutrals?

Old 03-08-14, 03:00 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sorting out shared neutrals?

Long story short, my electrician pulled new wire for a portion of a multiwire circuit. He said he pulled separate neutrals for each leg of the mwbc. There is now 2 neutrals and and 2 hots in the same conduit as it enters my panel.

However, Im thinking he may not have made the splice in box where the neutrals split. Instead I think he was downstream between that point and the panel and instead pulled two neutrals and spliced with the shared neutral....

in other words, instead of 2 splices and 4 wires for the grounded conductors (giving each a return back to the panel).... there is 1 splice and 3 wires. That would mean the two circuits are still sharing the neutral.

That probably makes no sense.... but I thought I would give it a shot so I can have an idea while speaking to him on the matter.

Old 03-08-14, 08:23 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
He said he pulled separate neutrals for each leg of the mwbc. There is now 2 neutrals and and 2 hots in the same conduit as it enters my panel.
That would not be a MWBC.

in other words, instead of 2 splices and 4 wires for the grounded conductors (giving each a return back to the panel).... there is 1 splice and 3 wires. That would mean the two circuits are still sharing the neutral.
That would make sense if the second neutral is in the conduit, but not being used. I see no reason to do this if there is, in fact, a second neutral.

Old 03-08-14, 10:02 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I know the only way to know for sure is open boxes but I cant do that right now.

Not very scientific, but the one thing I noticed is when it was indeed a mwbc, I would get a small amount of voltage testing neutral to ground with a low impendence meter (wasn't phantom voltage).... testing the circuits since the work was done, I am getting dead 0 voltage neutral to ground.

Old 03-08-14, 11:04 AM
A
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Yes there is the chance of error where one neutral was used for both hots when each hot should have had its own neutral.

Even real multiwire branch circuits, when more than one are in the same conduit (i.e four hots with the two neutrals), require care to keep the proper neutral associated with the respective hots.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: