gap in soffit around rigid riser

Old 03-08-14, 03:44 AM
gap in soffit around rigid riser

Theres a bit of a gap in the aluminum of my soffit where the 2" rigid riser going thru. Its maybe about 3" of space. What do you suggest I do to fill the gap?

I was thinking of using duct seal as I don't have any spare aluminum to make a flashing or something.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-14, 04:57 AM
Riser Seal

Find a construction project where soffit is being installed and ask them for a piece of scrap large enough to make a seal to fit around the riser.

Old 03-08-14, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
If you are going to the store, (like Menards) buy some sheet metal or aluminum flashing. They sell it in very small rolls as flashing. (or buy a pack of 5x7 flat step flashing if it's bug enough to cover the hole) Measure how wide the circle needs to be to cover the hole and use a compass to trace out this circle on the flashing, along with the hole for the pipe.

But here is the deal... don't just make one circle, make 2 of them that are exactly the same, then draw a line across the center (diameter) of each one with a sharpie. Use an offset tin snips (red handle for tight left turns) to cut the circles out. They will have to overlap slightly at the line you drew, so leave maybe 1" of the line and cut straight across the circle so that it's flat on that side. Then cut out the center portion of the circle. After you cut them out, lay them together so that the center lines line up... clean up your cuts if needed... then drill a few 1/8" holes through the edges while you still have both pieces matched together.

I'm guessing you might also want to make sure it fits and then spray paint this flashing before you put it up. Once it's finished, you should then be able to slip each half around the pipe and use your predrilled holes to attach the flashing to the soffit with some sheet metal screws.

If you didn't want to use sheet metal I suppose you could do the same thing with wood or Azek pvc... using a jigsaw to cut it out, but wood or pvc would just be pretty thick compared to the flashing.

Old 03-08-14, 08:31 AM
Find a construction project where soffit is being installed and ask them for a piece of scrap large enough to make a seal to fit around the riser.
I like this idea the best, but I'd take it a couple steps further and use a 2 1/2" hole saw to cut a hole in the patch material to match the diameter of the 2" mast. Then, with snips, cut a straight line from the edge of the patch material to the 2 1/2" hole. You can now flex the patch material to fit around the conduit mast and secure it with sheet metal screws.

Old 03-08-14, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Or use a split escutcheon if you mean 1" per side.

Name:  9264d967-80db-46c3-a04f-95efbb56095e_300.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  5.9 KB

Old 03-08-14, 09:54 AM
I like the idea of something prefab... im not very good with tin snips and have shakey hands.

This split escutcheon... what is that, in the plumbing isle I suppose?

Old 03-08-14, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, plumbing but finding it at BigBox will be ify for that size. You may need to go to a plumbing supply. If by 3" you meant measuring from the edge of the hole to the conduit it won't be wide enough.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  9.8 KB