Removing ceiling electrical box

Old 03-08-14, 01:38 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing ceiling electrical box

Hello all, my first post in this forum, although I have browsed so many things here.

I am in the process of installing recessed lighting in my hallway and I am trying to remove the electrical box in order to put a 4 inch can at the same spot. I am trying to avoid drywall work as usual, is there any way I can remove it without damaging the drywall?
My electrical box looks like the one attached in this post. Please let me know if you need more info

Attached Images   
Old 03-08-14, 01:49 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Any access in the attic?
Once it's out then what?
Still going to have to do some drywall work. The can light most likely will not work that close to the joist.

Old 03-08-14, 01:57 PM
S
Thanks for your response. I don't have access to attic, this is on first floor and we have a floor above it.
You are right I can't put a recessed can close to this joist. Should I just use this as a junction box, close it with a cover and put the can near it?

Old 03-08-14, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Assuming you have no access from above..... you need to make sure there is a thin gap between the box and the rock. Take a hammer and screwdriver and knock the box up carefully. Once the box is above the rock you can get your screwdriver between the box bracket and the beam. Pry the bracket off the beam.

Like Joe mentioned....this box is against the beam so there will automatically become some patching work. Also... the hole will be slightly larger than a 4" can which means a 4" can would be a tough install.

Old 03-08-14, 02:12 PM
S
Thanks.
You have a great idea. I just put everything back in position, I will try it tomorrow. I guess I need to do some patch work once I am done.
If the wire is lengthy enough for the recessed light once I pull it out from the box, shall I just patch it with Sheetrock as there will be nothing inside.
I hate to put a junction box there and cover it.

Old 03-08-14, 02:16 PM
S
Also can I put a 6 inch can there? The hallway is 3 ft wide and 8 ft tall. I thought 4 inch would look nicer than 6 inch

Old 03-08-14, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The 6" will provide more light. The 4" has a very narrow beam spread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: