Newly Installed GFCI not resetting

Old 03-08-14, 05:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Newly Installed GFCI not resetting

I installed a new GFCI to replace an old two prong outlet. The outlet has four wires two white and two black wires, no ground wire. I plugged a lamp to the outlet and the lamp (Works), but the outlet doesn't test and reset. My room lights and outlets work. Every other room in house has working lights and outlet Except the room next to my room, No power to lights and outlet.

Anyone would know why the outlet does power up the lamp, even though it doesn't test and reset and no power to the room next to my room?

Old 03-08-14, 06:02 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Anyone would know why the outlet does power up the lamp, even though it doesn't test and reset and no power to the room next to my room?
For a GFCI receptacle to test and function properly, the incoming circuit wires must be connected to the Line terminals on the receptacle - black to brass and white to silver. The wiring for all other locations to be protected must be connected to the LOAD terminals, same color pattern.

All that said, GFCI receptacles installed on a 2-wire ungrounded circuit can't be tripped with a plug-in receptacle tester because those shunt power to ground to do the test. I thought they could be tested with their built-in buttons though, but it's been awhile since I installed one on an ungrounded circuit.

Old 03-08-14, 06:30 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to tell which wiring on the (2 white/2 black wires) is the Load and Line Terminal?

Old 03-08-14, 06:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How to tell which wiring on the (2 white/2 black wires) is the Load and Line Terminal?
With the cables disconnected check for voltage on each cable using a multimeter, test light, or solenoid tester but not a non contact tester. The cable that reads ~120 volts goes to the line side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: