Strange GFI Issue

Old 03-10-14, 10:05 AM
Strange GFI Issue

Just got a new trailer and I'm having problems with a GFI Box. When I got it home, GFI breaker was thrown. No problem, reset; but now GFI won't reset. No problem, change out the GFI. GFI runs three boxes, the line box and two load boxes. When I plug TV into the line box it throws the GFI. I then put an extension cord on either load boxes (down-line) and the TV works and GFI does not throw. I'm stumped on this one. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-14, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Hard to follow your description. Are you saying you have a GFCI receptacle installed on a line from a GFCI breaker? If you do that is wrong. All receptacles on a GFCI breaker should be non GFCI receptacles.

Old 03-10-14, 02:29 PM
Maybe I explained it wrong. Breaker is labeled GFI, but really is 15 amp breaker for all receptacles. There are five I think. One receptacle is wired with GFI and that supply's to two more receptacles. When TV is plugged into line receptacle, GFI trips. An extension cord plugged into either load receptacles will allow TV to operate.

Old 03-10-14, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the breaker is GFCI, then the circuit is protected from that point. Having another GFCI receptacle in line will cause nuisance trips. Remove the GFCI receptacle and see how things work.

Old 03-10-14, 04:48 PM
One receptacle is wired with GFI and that supply's to two more receptacles. When TV is plugged into line receptacle, GFI trips. An extension cord plugged into either load receptacles will allow TV to operate.
It sounds as if the downstream receptacles are wired from the line side of the GFCI receptacle and not from the load side. It also sounds as if you have a problem with the TV.