Combination Switch/GFCI Outlet Not Working?

Old 03-10-14, 12:58 PM
Combination Switch/GFCI Outlet Not Working?

Hi,

In most of the 20 apartments here the Combination Switch/GFCI (both switch and outlet) work but we have a few that won't.

In the apartment of question the box has two bear black wires and one unbear red wire just passing through the box.

So far, no mater which side the two bare black wires are hooked up to on the outlet the outlet still doesn't work. The switch to the light always works.

When I plug in one of those green testers (Commercial Electric - MS6860H) with the list of all the different things that might be happening on it I always get "Hot/Neu. Reverse"?

I understand that if there are only two wires in the box that you can't use a GFCI(?).

However, both bear wires are black and there is a not bear red wire passing through the box. Can this red wire be used to make the GFCI work?

Anyone? Thanks.

John

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-14, 01:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! First, the GFCI can work off two wires, hot and neutral, BUT, you have not stated there is a white wire in the mix, only black and red. Are these wires in conduit? Can you take a couple of pictures of the one in question, with the switch/receptacle removed so we can see what you see with the wiring? Thanks. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html