Leaving extra sheathed cable in receptacle box?

Old 03-10-14, 04:08 PM
Leaving extra sheathed cable in receptacle box?

I'm running Romex 12/2 in my basement and using metal receptacles and junction boxes. I believe that code dictates that at least a 1/2" of sheathed wire enter the box to protect the individual wires. I was curious whether I can leave more than that? (if I can fit it). I have some difficult runs and would like to build in slack wherever possible. Is there any issue with that? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-14, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The NEC requires at least 1/4". More can be left, but really isn't needed.

Old 03-11-14, 06:46 AM
1. FIrst strip the sheath off to within 1/4" to 1/2" of where the cable would be clamped on at the back of the box. If you leave the sheathed cable in the box and then finish the wall, it is difficult to cut the sheath off later when you put the receptacle or other things in the box.

2. Don't curl up extra length of cable or conductors in the box in case the box needs to be relocated in the future. That takes up too much space in the box and it is hard to put the things you do want to use now in the box.

Old 03-11-14, 07:33 AM
Some inspectors will not pass over 1/2".

Old 03-11-14, 07:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would like to know what article they cite as a violation.

Old 03-11-14, 08:14 AM
I don't believe it's a violation, but it's not a good practice either.

Old 03-11-14, 05:30 PM
The reason I wanted to leave a little extra sheathed cable in the back of the box is because of issues I have had with existing outlets when changing receptacles. Sometimes wires were too short or dinged up and there wasn't enough slack to re-splice. I was going to leave about 2" of sheathed wire, and 6" of unsheathed wire. I did one receptacle like that prior to posting this, and I think it looks neat and not overcrowded. This was what I got out of the 2011 NEC:

The sheath of the nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the conduit or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than 6 mm (1⁄4 in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor complying with the provisions of 250.86 and 250.148.

Old 03-11-14, 05:43 PM
Didn't bother to ask, corrected before he left- just a few outlets and he passed everything else.

Old 03-11-14, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 6 inches of required free conductor should be more than enough.