Run conduit next to cast iron stack?

Old 03-10-14, 06:17 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Run conduit next to cast iron stack?

I am wanting to rewire to get rid of old cloth -wrapped 2 conductor copper wiring going to some of the bedrooms in the house. I have a 2 story house and all the wiring for the original bedrooms and bathroom are fed from the basement up through walls in our dining room and an office to the attic.

I can't follow that path without opening up the walls.

I have a pretty decent cavity for the main cast iron plumbing stack going up to the attic that I have already used to run Ethernet cabling. Can I also run my new circuits up this cavity in either flexible or hard conduit? Is there an easier way to get the circuits from the basement to my junction boxes in the attic?
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-10-14, 06:21 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Are you going to install a subpanel? If not how many branch circuits? Have you considered 8-3 NM-b to a subpanel?

Old 03-10-14, 07:04 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had not thought of a sub panel. If it were easier to get up there it might be a good idea. There's no permanent access set up, I need to bring up a folding ladder when I need to get up there.

Old 03-10-14, 07:36 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The subpanel could be in a hallway or little used room (but not a closet) below the attic.

Old 03-10-14, 07:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Ideally the chase should be draft stopped to prevent it acting like a chimney in a fire situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: