Running electrical in attic space

Old 03-10-14, 10:03 PM
Running electrical in attic space

Hello,

I am re-wiring our home (with the help of a licensed electrician friend, but he's commercial, not residential) and he wasn't sure if the following was kosher.

I want to run a main "trunk" of wires the length of the building. I don't want to drill out the ceiling joists (I know I can, I just don't want to). And I know I can't just staple the wires to the top side of the joists.

The attic is accessible by permanent ladder, but is unfinished (some plywood sheets laid down for storage). Joists are 2x8 on 16 inch center if it matters.

I know I need guard strips, but my question is how close to the guard strip do the wires have to be? I'd like to be able to stand a 2x4 up and attach it to a strip of ply/osb and then use both surfaces as a running board for attaching several lines of wire. (see image). I assume the red wires are OK, but how about the blue?

Would this be legal? If not, how about moving the 2x4 to one edge, then adding another to the other side, essentially making a U-shaped box to run the cables inside?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-14, 01:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would rather see the 2x on the right side of the ply with the cables stapled all on the left. More protected IMO.

Old 03-11-14, 06:35 PM
thanks for the reply! that's easy to do too, thanks!