cable tv ground size?

Old 03-11-14, 10:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cable tv ground size?

My Comcast was grounded with a #10. Can the coax be grounded with #14? What size wire should I use?

Old 03-11-14, 11:32 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You must use at LEAST #10. You can use bigger if you want, but it's not going to make any difference as to the protection.

Old 03-11-14, 11:47 AM
Is there anything wrong with this installation:

I used a
EATON Communication Grounding Device

The phone company had clamped there ground to the raceway going from my meter into my house. I removed their ground wire and used a #10 stranded from their clamp to the grounding block. I mounted the block next to the demarc boxes for the cable and phone. I then used #10 for both the phone and the catv to the grounding block.

Is that acceptable?

I was not able to mount anything down by the ground rod and the wire connected to the ground is run in emt.

Old 03-11-14, 12:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 201 Upvotes on 176 Posts
The block shown mounts over the GEC going to the rod or Ufer. The others bonds run to the telco box etc.

Old 03-11-14, 12:43 PM
So as I describe it, is it not code compliant?

#8 from teleco bonding clamp to the grounding device. Both cable and phone #10 wires then go into terminals.

The directions for a similar device show that it can be mounted to the electrode or the raceway and both would be compliant.

Old 03-11-14, 05:24 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
The directions for a similar device show that it can be mounted to the electrode or the raceway and both would be compliant.
Ok, that's what directions for a similar device say, but what do the instructions for the Eaton Device say? Compliance in this situation would probably be determined by if you followed the instructions. Do you have it attached to the GEC (grounding electrode conductor) according to the instructions?

Old 03-12-14, 12:33 AM
B
Cable CTV Ground

Minimum size of conductor to connect Bonding Bar is #6 Copper. I would say since the Eaton has two mounting holes to secure bar to building and the GEC lug is rated #14-#1/0 that you could make your connection with a #6 copper using the Eaton Bonding Bar. If the installation is for an existing building you can connect to (1) Nonflexible metallic raceway (2) Grounding Electrode Conductor or (3) a connection approved by the AHJ. Just in case, ERICKSON makes the same type of unit and you can install that either to the GEC or by #6 Copper per their instructions. Ground your CTV to the Bonding Bar using the same #10 that was used on the original installation.

Name:  Eaton Communications Grounding Device1.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  30.8 KBName:  Eaton Communications Grounding Device2.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  21.2 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: