Help Needed - Flickering lights and loss of power

Old 03-11-14, 02:24 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Needed - Flickering lights and loss of power

Hi everyone, thanks to anyone who can provide me any info on this. Here's what I know.

Lights in half the house flicker intermittently, sometimes worse than others, and have gone out completely more than once. When they go out (never more than ten minutes), the outlets in those rooms go out as well. So half the house is flickering power essentially. The main 100 A breaker has never popped, but the rooms that are flickering have.

Called hydro, they checked the overhead connections as well as the meter connections, all receiving proper voltage. They said to call back to get more testing done once an electrician verified its not a problem on my end. (which i will do tomorrow, and hope its not actually in my walls somewhere)

Then i had an electrician come in for an hour:
He didnt pull the 2 main breakers, as there was no evidence of heat or any buzzing. Also, all of the branch connections were receiving good voltage and connections looked sound.

The stove's digital clock just went as well, the numbers still read but are scrambled and always changing. The clock gets very hot when the fuse for the stove is in. The stove is direct fed to the fuse box, on 2 40A fuses. The lights in those rooms are still flickering while the stove fuse is unplugged.

The fuse box was about 10 years ago updated to this new box, and has never done anything like this with it not being something related to the hydro company.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28141[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 03-11-14, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The fuse box was about 10 years ago updated to this new box
That was an unusual update. Usually you update to circuit breakers.

The electrician HAS to pull out the mains and check them whether they're buzzing or not. It's a problem at the mains end of the panel if half the house is going out.

Old 03-11-14, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
This needs to be investigated further. You cannot check a connection just by listening.

Updated to fuses 10 years ago. Wow, I have been in the trade over thirty years and never installed a fused panel, not would I even think about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: