Splitting a 30a run

Old 03-12-14, 12:26 PM
Splitting a 30a run

Want to know if this is feasible.

I have a 30a 220v ran on 10/2 45' in the shop. I actually need 2 plugs at this location, so in lieu of running another run of 10/2 and another breaker, I was going to put in a junction box and run to 2 separate receptacles with short "pigtails"?

1 plug is for a Miller 185 Mig welder, the other for a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 plasma. I could never operate both at the same time, but could have both "on", but not total draw on both at the same time.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-14, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can run this set up. I have it in my shop as well for portable 240 volt tools. Unless I grow 7' long arms, they can't be used by me at the same time. My welder, however is on a 50 amp circuit by itself. If the source is on one side of the receptacles, use the first receptacle box as a junction box and continue to the second one. You will need to determine the amperage draw of both machines at idle. I would caution against idling both machines since they can be inadvertently activated and possibly cause an overcurrent incident and trip the breaker.

Old 03-12-14, 05:16 PM
That is what I was thinking. If I upped the breaker, I might as well do 2 runs since I would have to match my wire to the breaker, even though welder uses less overall current.

Old 03-12-14, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you upped the breaker, the #10 won't be compliant any more. I would stay within the parameters of each of the items' full load, keep the #10 and 30 amp breaker. Upping the breaker and wiring could cause you to lose your overcurrent protection for the units.