Outlet box wiring with window framing

Old 03-15-14, 07:29 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Outlet box wiring with window framing

Adding a new window in exterior wall 16"oc. I plan to build a window frame for the 32" wide window after removing two existing studs giving me 48"oc of space. Doing it like this in the middle of the room, there it is an outlet box that is on the inside of the framing, ie, the 48" space has an outlet on the inside of the left stud. This complicates my simple plan to build a studded window frame and slide in between the 48" space. I really don't want to move the window to different studs because it will be off center.
How would you recommend I deal with the outlet and existing wiring that would interfere with the window frame? If I move it to the outside of the stud, I'd have to reroute the wire thru the top plate (not desireable). Oh, and the inside of the wall has 3/8 sheathing (don't ask) so I didn't want to tear into that other than removing the 48" section. I need that outlet also.
I hope this is understandable.

Old 03-15-14, 07:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Can you move the one receptacle outside of the window framing and run a new cable to the other receptacle? A pic might help us see what you are dealing with.

Old 03-15-14, 08:02 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Name:  windowframe.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  29.8 KB
I may have figured it out... i should have drawn it out in the first place. If this pic comes out, it shows how I can put a couple of king studs in, and only some blocking is required for the king studs that i can run the wire thru. Does this look ok to code?

Old 03-15-14, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Looks fine. You could also run the cable under the window opening..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: