30A GFCI sylvania panel

Old 03-15-14, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
30A GFCI sylvania panel

Hi everyone! I've read through many posts and tried to find a solution, but I'm a bit stumped.

I have a Sylvania breaker panel (house was built in 1976). The instructions say to use certain Zinsco breakers to replace the original ones. Here's a picture of the instructions / panel:

picture 1
picture 2

I would like to replace the 40A breaker shown with a 30A GFCI breaker. this is the dryer outlet, and our dryer is a 24-amp appliance, so no problem there. I also will have an electrical engineer friend (who is very familiar with home wiring) help in the installation.

SO the question: I've heard lots of bad things about zinsco (arcing and melting themselves to the bus, etc) and would like to use a different brand. I am having a lot of trouble finding information about who bought who, and which breakers are compatible, etc. My breakers are 1.5" in height, which is smaller than most that i've seen online. I have read that the appropriate replacement would be Cutler Hammer BR series breakers, but I see in the amazon link that the product size is 3.8 x 6.2 x 2.2 inches - 2.2 inches being too tall to fit in my 1.5 slot for a two-pole breaker. ????

additionally, even if i did want to replace the breaker with a Zinsco, i cannot find a 30a GFCI breaker by Zinsco.

edit: picture links working

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-14, 09:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Your picture of the panel didn't show up. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html
You don't need a GFCI on a dryer. Standard 30 amp with 10 gauge wiring will be sufficient. We'll wait on the picture for the comment on the Zinsco breakers.

Old 03-15-14, 09:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Zinsco, i cannot find a 30a GFCI breaker by Zinsco.
Zinsco died before GFCI's were common. As Larry said you do not need a GFCI but you could probably buy a new modern breaker panel for the cost of a couple of not UL approved new Zinsco breakers. Zinsco Thick 30 Amp 1-1/2 in. Double-Pole Type Z UBI Replacement Circuit Breaker-UBIZ230 at The Home Depot

Old 03-15-14, 10:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Zinsco used a unique mounting method for the breakers. Other breakers do not fit. T&B may have a breaker that is classified for that panel.

Old 03-15-14, 02:14 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I don't think T&B has a breaker that would fit the Sylvania/Zinsco design panel. UBI is the most common replacement breaker that I am aware of, but as Ray mentioned, it isn't U.L. Listed and will cost a small forune. Menard's also has the UBI breakers available. Just curious, why do you want to use a GFCI breaker on your dryer circuit?

Zinsco replacement circuit breaker type UBIZ (type QC) 2-pole 30A at Menards

I am having a lot of trouble finding information about who bought who, and which breakers are compatible,
Sylvania eventually became Challenger and Challenger was bought by Eaton/Cutler-Hammer. in the '90s.

As Larry said you do not need a GFCI but you could probably buy a new modern breaker panel for the cost of a couple of not UL approved new Zinsco breakers.
That's definitely the route I would take. Here is a little information that all Sylvania/Zinsco panel owners should read. The Sylvania/Zinsco panels are a known fire hazard.

Zinsco Sylvania Kearney Electrical Panel and Circuit Breaker Hazards, Failures, Inspection, Detection, Repair, Replacement - Sylvania Zinsco circuit breakers and panel hazards