New Breaker panel noise and heat issue?

Old 03-15-14, 12:54 PM
New Breaker panel noise and heat issue?

I recently had a new panel installed. Two things I noticed so far that I am not sure if its something to be concerned about....

When my 240 dryer is running, the breaker is slightly warmer to the touch then the rest of the breakers... for example all the breakers are around 63 deg. but the dryer breaker is around 74 degrees... theres a slight but noticeable difference with touch. I also notice a faint 60 cycle hum in the panel with the dryer running.

Also when my laundry machine runs, sometimes when the motor kicks in to spin the tub, I hear a hum in the panel, louder in fact than the one I mentioned above but the same 60 cycle hum/buzz. It stops after a few moments. It seems to only occur with this one cycle of the the machine.

Are these things that I should be concerned about....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-14, 01:27 PM
I don't think you have anything to be concerned with.

all the breakers are around 63 deg. but the dryer breaker is around 74 degrees
That would be pretty normal because the dryer breaker is under a heavy load. It may be warmer, but that isn't exactly hot. The other breakers have little, if any, load on them so naturally they should be cooler.

Old 03-15-14, 01:41 PM
I figured the warmth was normal, but what about the hum/buzz though with the washing machine? .... is it normal for a breaker to chatter like that under load?

I can pinpoint it exactly when the tub starts to move and then after a minute or two it stops and if you were standing next to the panel, it is certainly noticeable (not something you would need to strain to hear)....

Old 03-15-14, 05:04 PM
Wow, im confused now. I tried the washer on a different circuit and the same noise occurs in the panel. A noticeable hum for a moment when it first starts turning and then a fainter hum during operation that sort of pulsates with the washing machine in certain cycles.

Is it the washer or something more sinister like the main breaker or something else?

Again the is a new panel/service... I feel real bad right now.

Old 03-15-14, 07:02 PM
I really don't think it's anything to worry about. Have you called and asked the contractor who installed the new service what he thinks? Just curious, but who is the manufacturer of the panel/breakers?

Old 03-16-14, 05:03 AM
So your thinking some noise or buzzing is normal in a new circuit breaker panel??

The contractor going to take a look but said over the phone that its likely normal, a 60 cycle hum because its under load....

The old panel never made the same noise with the washer.

BTW its a square d panel.

Old 03-16-14, 07:12 AM
So your thinking some noise or buzzing is normal in a new circuit breaker panel??
Do I think all new breaker panels hum? No. Have I ever heard a breaker hum? Yes. The time I recall hearing a breaker hum was when a 30 amp breaker to an A-C unit was turned on under the start load of the compressor and that time the breaker hummed very loudly. I found that if the unit was turned off and the breaker turned on without the load, there was no hum once the A-C unit was turned on again. The case I am thinking of was a Crouse-Hinds panel and breaker. I've not heard a Square D breaker hum, but I also have not been around a lot of Square D Homeline panels. I just assumed this was a Homline and not a QO panel. I'd work with the contractor and let him listen to it and see what he thinks. Remember, the Homeline panel is Square D's less expensive, cost effective, aluminum bus residential panel. You could also contact Square D and get their opinion.

Old 03-16-14, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
Square D uses thermal/magnetic technology in their breakers so humming is not out of the question.
I can hear heavy loads turn on with my Square D QO panel too.