Dryer 4 Prong to 3 Prong check

Old 03-15-14, 07:38 PM
Dryer 4 Prong to 3 Prong check

Hi everyone.

I just moved into an apartment and I have to change my dryer over to a 3 prong cord. I think I have it right, but wanted to run it by everyone here before plugging it in. I'm not an electrician and a lot of the information I've read is over my head.

The 4 prong cord (which came with the dryer) was as follows:

Red - Right
Off White - Middle
Black - Left
Green - Ground to the left of those 3 connections.

White from dryer - Middle with the off white from the cord.

The 3 prong I set up was:

Middle cord to Middle, outside cords to the left and right. As I understand it the middle is neutral and the outsides are hot.

My nervousness comes from the white cord coming from the dryer. I took it off the middle (where it was sharing a connection with the 4 prong) and moved it to the ground to the left.

I did this based on this video (it looks like my dryer connection) and my dryer looks the way it does at the end if the video. It's just that there is no mention of the white wire from the dryer, it was already attached in the video.

Electric Dryers: Connecting a 3-Wire Power Supply Cord - YouTube

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read through and either confirm what I did was right or let me know I'm about to burn the house down.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-14, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
My nervousness comes from the white cord coming from the dryer. I took it off the middle (where it was sharing a connection with the 4 prong) and moved it to the ground to the left.
Yes.... that is correct. That white jumper bonds the case to the ground/neutral wire.

Old 03-16-14, 05:05 AM
Great, thank you.

I really appreciate your help.