Need Advice for safe alternative to "suicide cord"

Old 03-15-14, 06:51 PM
Question Need Advice for safe alternative to "suicide cord"

Just some back ground on what I am trying to accomplish:

I'm in the process of moving all of my A/V equipment from a cabinet below the TV to my closet in the office. Then the TV will be mounted on a wall by itself with no visible cable/equipment. I'll be using an RF remote to control the devices.

I purchased an APC 1000VA battery backup that will be installed in the closet with the equipment. I also want to run my TV in the living room off of this UPS. It is approx. 40 feet away. I already ran 14/2 between the closet and the TV and installed standard female 120V outlets on both ends. My original plan was to use a male to male cable to connect the UPS to the closet side of the 14/2. This would provide power to the TV.

However, after looking into male to male 120v cables I found all kinds of posts saying that M/M cables should never be used and I understand why.

My question is: How can I safely power the TV from the UPS?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-14, 07:11 PM
My original plan was to use a male to male cable to connect the UPS to the closet side of the 14/2. This would provide power to the TV.
You need to replace the female receptacle in the closet with an inlet which is no more than a recessed male device that will accept the female end of a short extension cord. But, you can only use the cord for temporary use, not a permanenet installation.