Wiring a Transfer Switch Halfway

Old 03-16-14, 02:46 PM
Wiring a Transfer Switch Halfway

Just lining up my schedule and planning to get the transfer switch installed halfway .

My goal is to install the wiring between the main panel to the transfer switch circuits. I have to look at how the wiring is in the transfer switch for the *inlet* side. Worst case, I'll have to turn off the main breaker on the main pane when I add the inlet.

I DON'T plan to run the inlet switch as this time, as the area to where it's going, it's quite involved with sheetrock, mud, coring through CBU/Brick, etc....

For all you Pros/Joes who are familar, am I on the right path ?

Q310C Pro/Tran Q Series | Product Details | Reliance Controls Corporation

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-14, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Is that a two pole or a three pole? I couldn't find that info on line.

Old 03-16-14, 05:03 PM
For this Reliant transfer switch box you don't need to turn off the main panel top breaker. Just turn off the individual main panel breaker for each branch circuit you plan to run through the transfer switch box while you make the connections for that circuit.

There are two hot lines (and neutral and ground) going to the inlet. With all of the circuits energized with utility power (main panel breakers on), if either of the lines in the transfer box intended for the inlet is live then you made a mistake wiring up one or more of the switches.

You almost alwasy need to have the meter pulled and shut down the power while install a whole house transfer switch so you might as well install the new 4 wire (hot, hot, neutral, ground) run to the orignal main panel and the new/rerouted service wires to the A side of the transfer switch at the same time. The run from the generator inlet to the B side of the transfer switch can be done later if you wish.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-16-14 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Looking at the link it is a 30 amp transfer panel not a transfer switch.