Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

220V 4 wire transfer switch to 3 wire outside recept. Can it be done

Old 03-17-14, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Need a little help with something. I have a transfer switch hooked to my elec panel in my house. From the transfer switch it goes out to a recept that I can plug my generator into. The transfer switch has 4 wires, two hots, a common and a ground (Red, Black, White, Green) The transfer switch runs my well pump (220) and misc appliances/lights (110). From the transfer switch to the outside recept there is a #10 line that has 3 wires in it a hot, a common and a bare ground. Here's my question...Can I tie the white and the green from the transfer switch into the bare ground going to the outside recept? I'd have to split it back apart at the outside recept to go to the generator. Was just wondering if I could use the bare copper wire as a common/ground from the transfer switch to the outside recept or if I need to replace the wire going to the transfer switch. The wire is buried in the wall behind finished sheet rock so it wont be an easy task if I need to swap it. The attached diagram might help explain. Thanks for the help.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-14, 10:16 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No. You need a 3-conductor cable, 3 insulated wires plus ground. The 2-conductor cable you have can be used either for 240 volts or 120 volts not both.
if I could use the bare copper wire as a common/ground
No. Double code violation. A bare wire can't be used for a neutral. The ground and neutral can't be connected together except at the panel with the first breaker or fuse.

Terminology: The correct term is neutral not common. Nominal voltages are 120 and 240.

Old 03-17-14, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ray, thanks for the info. I didn't expect to get a "yes" on this one. I do appreciate the help...and the terminology correction.

Old 03-17-14, 10:23 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Let us know if you have any more questions. Always glad to help.