Subpanel for oven and cooktop

Old 03-17-14, 10:16 AM
Subpanel for oven and cooktop

Hello,

I would like to modify my existing electrical circuit to accommodate an induction cooktop and oven. The oven specs are 5.4 kw @ 240 (although its wire is 12 awg) and the cooktop is 7.4 kw @240. The oven calls for 30 amps, and the cooktop for 40, separate circuits. My main panel is an old ge 125 amps load, and the breaker for the stove is a 60 amps double pole thql. The wiring has been replaced with #6-3 awg copper, it was #8 aluminum. Since I dont have any more spaces in the main box, can I run a subpanel (ge TL270SCUP) with 2 double pole thqps rated at 30 amps and 40 amps respectively to separate the citcuits? The load of both appliances (5.4 kw + 7.4 kw = 53.34 amps) do not exceed 60 amps wide open.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-14, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
NEC code permits the oven and cook top to be shared on a single breaker but if you prefer a subpanel what you plan would be okay.

Old 03-17-14, 10:47 AM
Hmmmm If I were to hook up both on the same wire and skip the box, wouldn't the wire be too small to sustain adequate fault current to trip the protection on the circuit????

Old 03-17-14, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
wouldn't the wire be too small to sustain adequate fault current to trip the protection on the circuit?
Not sure what you are asking. A dead short would immediately trip the breaker. #6 is good for 60 amps. If continuous load was at or near 60 amps, depending on the breakers trip characteristics, the breaker would trip eventually but neither a cooktop or oven is a contentious load. Or are you referring to NM-b #6 being rated at 55 amps at 60?