Seoprene versus Seoprene

Old 03-18-14, 09:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seoprene versus Seoprene

Riddle me this. I totally forgot the merits of Rubber *SO cord versus Seoprene.
I recall doing full reading, and just concluded that SO Rubber was the way to go in all cases....more durable, etc, etc.

I have used Seoprene cord when I want a really flexiable cable - knowing the jacket is less bulletproof. Just picked up SJ Seoprene Cord. I swear, between the filler / cord jacket, it's like 1/2 the overall diameter SO Rubber Equivalent.

Old 03-18-14, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
If I'm not mistaken........... SJ type cord is rated for 300v while SO is rated for 600v.

Old 03-18-14, 02:18 PM
P
Yes, you are correct. I'll have to clarify my OP. I meant the outerjacket of traditional *rubber* of the SO variant versus Seoprene.

Old 03-18-14, 04:26 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
"Seoprene" is nothing more than one manufacturer's name for a synthetic rubber. Type S cable is the designation for a "hard service" flexible cable. Type SJ is "junior hard service" and as noted has less rubber and a lower voltage rating. There are several other letter designations that go along including O for oil resistance (synthetic rubber) and W for water resistance. A type SOW cable would be a 600 volt rated cable with an oil and water resistant outer jacket.

Some service cables are made with plastic insulation and outer jackets instead of rubber and they would include the letter T for thermoplastic. An SJT cable would be rated at 300 volts and have plastic insulation on the outer jacket.

As a rule, the plastic cables are less flexible, especially in lower temperatures than are the rubber cables.

Old 03-18-14, 05:18 PM
P
Thanks Furd for the recap.

Just to throw it out there.

AFAIK, they don't make SOW anymore. Just SOOW and SJOOW

While most SJT compounds are poop, back when Woods (canadian brand) still owned the Yellow Jacket Brand, versus Coleman owned Woods-Yellow Jacket, their SJT compound was the cats paws !

Otherwise, I like Carol Cord anyday, and when I want uber flexibility, I'll ~downgrade~ and use SJEOOW...

Old 03-18-14, 05:33 PM
F
AFAIK, they don't make SOW anymore. Just SOOW and SJOOW
You might be right, I surely don't know just as I don't know what the second O in SOOW stands for. Maybe MORE oil resistant than a single O?

Old 03-18-14, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The second O means the inner conductors are oil resistant.

Old 03-19-14, 12:41 AM
F
Thank you, Justin. ojep0ia[gplhbma

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: